NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone new to greenville nc from ft luaderdale fl me and my dad arived here 3 months ago im 46 hes 72 we have a 16ft. center console but will not be going out in the ocean as my dad is not very good on his feet anymore we will be fishing mostly in the pamlico river and sound any good places you can offer us aspecialy for flounder would be greatly appreciated. also good clamming location thank you all. also does anyone know ware in nc to go to dig for soft shell clams [steamer clams] last time my dad was able to find some was in ny about 30 years ago. thanks agian. [email protected]

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Welcome neighbor! I'm new to the area as well, living in Washington and learning..or trying to learn.. the Pamlico as well. I hope we can be helpful to one another. I'm sure you'll find this a great site with great people as I have...
What I have picked up on so far is that this end of the river is greatly effected by salinity fluctuation. I am told and to some degree have noticed as you go downriver beyond Blounts Creek the fishing is more productive as the water seems more stable. Concentrate more on fresh water species above the Railroad bridge in Washington and salt species as you move downriver. I have actually caught crappie and small flounder in the same spot at the same time. But I hear the mouth of the Pungo River area is good flounder fishing. Can't help with the clams. And honestly with the pollution in the river I wouldn't eat them anyway.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Hi Glenns - welcome to NC Angler.

We don't have steamer clams down here but we do have plenty of the hard shell variety. I don't know your area so I can't tell you where to go but hopefully some other folks will be able to help ya there.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welcome aboard. I hope you and your dad find this site helpful. This time of year the fish are on the move or on the prowl or both. With the shorter days and colder water temperatures the sounds won't support as many fish as during the warmer months with longer daylight periods so the larger part of them move out into the ocean in the fall and come back in the spring. Actually the winter fishing can be pretty good on the inside as the fish tend to congregate in and around areas that can provide them with protection from quick drops in water temperature. As spring approaches you will see the fish seek out areas that warm up faster and again they can be pretty predictable. The more you learn about a species, the easier it is to learn the habits of another. If you think you've got them all figured out that is when you won't be able to buy a strike with the contents of Ft Knox. Usually if you really apply yourself to the challenge though you can catch 3 or 4 decent fish either early am or late pm during the winter. If you use the solunar tables you will probably do better fishing during peak times. All of this has been discussed at one time or another on here along with such topicis as favorite baits and lures etc. If you use the search featrure you can dig up a wealth of info on everything but specific places (hey, there's gotta be some challenge ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.