NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of catfishing, and that requires a need for a lot of bait. I can catch tons of gills on a spinning rod, but have been wanting to dust off my flyrod and start catching some bait with it. What would be your go to flies for bream?

Also, I figured while I am drifting/wading the river I would like to try for some largemouth bass as well. Again, what would be your go to flies for bass? I seem to remember being told to use clouser minnows for bass, but am not sure how accurate that is.

I will mainly be drifting in the Neuse river around anderson pointe in Raleigh. I also may wade the tailrace section below falls.

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Small poppers, spiders, and sliders for topwater. For subsurface drop a briminator, wooly bugger, or something similar. Bream aren't too picky.

For the bass, choose something that is similar to your favorite casting plug in the waters you fish. Clousers are a good choice, as are crawfish imitations, buggers, articulated streamers, poppers, sliders, etc.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I've done well with a craft foam bug I tie for bream, and also catch an occasional LMB. Largest has been 4 lbs, but most are about 2 lbs or less. I also tie a crappie candy fly that catches both, but mostly bream and crappie.
Hope you do well. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Small poppers are good for bluegills and a ton of fun. I'm working on finding larger poppers for bass. I went too big and can't cast the thing.

I've had the best luck with gray ghosts, royal coachman streamers, muddler minnows, and mickey finns. Bigger flies bring out bigger fish but the little ones will get something almost every cast. Throw really small flies and you can catch minnows for bait.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in Raleigh for a meeting 5 or 6 years ago. Got finished early and drove out to the Falls Dam. Changed into a pair of shorts and a tshirt I had in the car (got some funny looks from the folks there for an early lunch) and waded in just below the dam. Fished a Royal Wulff and caught small sunfish cast after cast for around an hour.

I checked the flow on the computer when I got home that day, wish I remembered it because I would be able to gauge whether it was worth the drive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I stopped by the tailrace below Falls Lake the other day and waded around for about an hour and a half. I saw a decent bit, but between my rusty cast and poor fly selection, I only managed 5 bream.

I will try out some of the recommendations next time I get out on the river. Gonna be a few days because I am gonna be out on the lakes the next 2 days.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Fish in the river systems eat the fly or miss a meal. The current that brings them a meal will also take it away if they do not commit to eat the fly. Everything in the river will hit a fly from catfish, bass, and bluegills. All the flies as stated will catch fish. Some days it is best for topwater and other days for subsurface flies. Have a few of both and a couple of colors to help decipher the fishing equation for the day.

Whites, chartreuse or a mix of others will do. I like black/orange flies for most of my bream fishing but at times its hard to pass up a green worm or red worm (San Juan worm).

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I missed this one the first time around, Well said Scott, I don't use a fly rod very much, but I do think river fish esp. in decent current are easier to fool than still water fish.

I will second RouseD's praise of TFF's AP Diver. not that much different than other divers but made of foam and easy to tie.

Darrell

·
Registered
223 Posts
On rivers,top warter poppers bees small spiders .under small minnows nymphs any thing small.Gills eat anything.But the big ones like minnows, Gander mtn has a lot of flys check them out
Doest the Gander Mtn. in Greensboro have much in the way of fly fishing and tying? The one in Winston isn't worth going in. What about the newish Field and Stream store?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.