NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing some striper fishing on the roanoke around Williamston and Weldon. I am planning on using live bait, but I also wanted to use some soft plastics. What soft plastics seem to produce best for you guys? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
flukes, curlytails, swimbaits, etc. they aren't exactly picky. a buddy fishing with me caught one on a gulp shrimp under a popping cork in the cape fear.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured they would hit a lot of things. We got one at weldon while shad fishing at weldon the other day. Mack, I think you were at the edge of the ramp fishing when we were getting our boat out.

What colors do ya'll typically use? Also, what weight jig heads do ya'll usually use? Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hardydk1-

For the Roanoke, mostly 1/2 oz jigs, 3/0 to 4/0 hooks...as important as the bait...I use what ever is around and on sale, this year some bomber, kalin, mister twister, doa, generic bass pro, C& H....don't think it matters too much in the Roanoke, I don't often throw my nice stuff or many nice bucktails. You lose a good bit. Same thing with grubs and flukes.

Those rattlin rouges do work well. I don't tend to troll as much in the Roanoke when on the river early in the year, just bottom bouncing holes and swimming jigs off creek banks.

Luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOL, Crazy Stripers! They can be picky, even in the spawn. Don't let it frustrated you...sometimes they'll eat whatever you got, then next time spray you in skunk.

I've seen great days where they would only take a fly, presented a certain way, and almost nothing else. We also had cut bait, live bait, and spinning rods on the boat...they were barely interested, 4 live bait rods down and they only wanted a drifted fly.

For the first time this year, I saw them strongly prefer one color (other than white and chartreuse) at a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio (it was pink btw)...I've heard that sometime it happens but had never really seen it. Lots of great fishermen on the boat that day but if you lost your pink jig....you were way behind on the catchin really quick.

I've been just buyin white jigs and painting them pink with nail polish...works fine. Now-I try chartreuse and pink heads first with a mixed bag of plastics till I find what they want.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
99% of the reports I always see say some form of 5-6in paddle tail in some version of white/chartreuse or combination there of. If I were going and wanted to keep it cheap that's all I would buy. I do like pink jigs in general I think they are just enough to make your bait "different". Works for flounder too..

Reactions: RouseD and hardydk1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.