NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It look's like I'm in need of a change in venue.
I've been looking forward to Finally finishing school, so I'm not busy from 8am untill Midnight everyday of the week.

So I've been weighing my options. and Ive decided To return to the Military.

I left Active Duty Army in 2005 after alittle over 4 years in the Airborne Infantry, I was a team leader as a pfc after just a few months of getting to my unit. Deployed a handfull of times to Afghanistan and Iraq. I got out after I got Hit by an IED In Iraq.

And as much as they like to email me and try to intice me back in the Army. ( I have received 258 emails since last spring) So I found out that all of my college credit, 1 Associates Degree and half of my 2nd Degree will go towards rank in the IRR. So I'm submitting the paperwork now, and will get some rank, E-5 or E-6 if I can get an additional few points.

So the change in Venue you ask?
Airforce..havent decided yet active, or reserve but I'm looking into a Public Affairs Job as a Photojournalist right now 3V0x2
its now a 3N0X2 I guess. I've been told I will keep my army rank, Won't have to go through Basic training again. Just get the paperwork filled out, report to my unit, get a school date for the Military photographers school at Fort Meade, then roll on.

So this should be fun. If anyone has any Airforce friends that are at pope int he Public Affairs section let me know Im interested in chatting witht hem before I start jumping though hoops.

Rob

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Interesting decision Rob. I hope you do well!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Wouldn't be hard for him at all I wouldnt think BL,

Go for it Rob, talk to the local AF recruiter, that's going to be your best bet. AF slot local are going away, Pope will be handed over to the Army fairly soon, and pretty much by 09 most AF will be out of Pope. 23d is already gone and in GA and no more folks PCSing in. Best bet is local AF recruiter office and find out what they can offer you

Best of luck and I think AF will be a very good route for you ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I've got a buddy at Church who's USAF -- don't know what he does, except for being called "Colonel". (He jokes of being a "telephone colonel" - the "light" kind.) A few years ago he was part of NCSU's ROTC team...

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I've got a buddy at Church who's USAF -- don't know what he does, except for being called "Colonel". (He jokes of being a "telephone colonel" - the "light" kind.) A few years ago he was part of NCSU's ROTC team...
I'm not sure what a telephone colonel refers to but the term light colonel usually refers to someone with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel - one rank below a Colonel.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I'm not sure what a telephone colonel refers to but the term light colonel usually refers to someone with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel - one rank below a Colonel.
Yup -- when he talks to people on the phone, they hear "Colonel" more than they hear "Lieutenant". (Which I suppose is the way it ought to be.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the support guys. I've been talking to a few recruiters for both Army and Airforce.

I'be pretty much ran into a problem with the Airforce. Looks like they wont have a slot here at pope unless my Army job was photojournalist already. Never thought the Airforce would have me jumping through hoops.

The Army has a unit here at Fort Bragg they are just now starting, It's going to be a Military History unit. So I'm in the process of checking that out now. I'm guarantee'd a 2 year stabilization. No deployments.

Looks like something I might be interested in. After that 2 years there is always a chance of me deploying so I guess Im going to go in and see what all benifits Im going to get out of this.

I'll keep yu all in formed

Mos int he army is 46Q juts incase someone has access to some good information.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 .........:Dhope its all you want to be

There are several Public Affairs offices on Bragg. Most major units have some type of them. i.e. 18th Airborne Corps, 82nd Airborne Division. and so on, if you have a phone book of Fayetteville it will list those units.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This new unit is a Reserve Unit, I was active with 1st-504th for about 5 years, and a handful of deployments. and this will also get me another step closer to that Photojournalism job for the local newspaper, ect.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey Rob- Give me a shout I know a couple of organizations that are always scouting for hunting and fishing pics for outdoor magazines. If you can write a bit, it would even help you get a leg up. I'll be in my office tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.