NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out for my annual fly fishing mountain trip and was wondering if anybody had any advice on fishing in this area. I read a few things online about it, but I'd like to hear it from you guys. Dry/wet/nymph fly selection, river access, your hot spots:D....... just kidding! Mostly interested in the hot flies for this time of year. Any advice helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Stone has been getting a good bit of pressure on the Delayed Harvest section...and although some folks are complaining about a lack of fish...others are still finding plenty and catching them. Standard nymphs have been producing, as well as typical DH selections like buggers, yarn eggs, green weenies, san juan worms etc. And some occasional success on dry flies like caddis, adams and blue winged olives. Most folks are having success with sinking flies like those mentioned. Haven't heard much about fishing the wild water in stone.

In the area you have some streams coming out of Thurmond Chatham Game Lands and in Doughton Park...both Hatchery and Wild Designations....and up the road in Allegheny County you have several Hatchery Streams and a relatively new DH section on Little River....and the DH section on Mitchell just a few minutes away....a good many options within 30-45 minutes if Stone is not producing. A lot of folks will focus on the pools...but often you'll find fish in the riffle water and often that gets overlooked. And in some areas, smallmouth bass may be starting to get active.

The new interactive map on ncwildlife.org is a good resource for finding these other bodies of water...along with a DeLorme Atlas and a smartphone. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'd say for this time of year the key would be to keep moving. If you don't catch a fish with in 10min at one spot move to another. The fish are most likely spread some and leery of people by now but I'm sure they're still hungry.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you go on a Saturday it is good to take your own rock to stand on :)

I am a hopper-dropper guy in general but particularly at Stone Mountain stocked areas. Above comments are right on.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Some of the wild streams in the park experienced full freezes and extirpation over the winter. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm curious to how you know there was extirpation?
A couple of the smaller tribs froze completely during the polar vortices. Leaving aside suffocation, 34F is the lethal temp for our trout species. Any of the streams that froze solid would have experienced extirpation. I would assume fish from further down would have pushed back into some of the tribs that experienced the freezes, by now, but the wild populations in SMSP definitely took a hit over the winter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I know they were stockers, which can be easier to catch. But I managed to land 72 fish in 4 days. The first 3 hours I was on the stream I caught 24 trout. Sunday, the close out day I landed 11 and one of the browns was about 18" long. Best mountain trip ever!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a great day there yesterday as well. 50+ fish in about 4 1/2 hours. Caught in two areas on mostly midges and bead head pheasant tails, some on san juan worms. Had several come up and take the orange biostrike. Haven't had a day like that in many, many years. Wasn't too crowded either and beautiful weather.

·
Registered
188 Posts
"Had several come up and take the orange biostrike"

that would be why I am a Hooper Dropper/tandem rig kinda guy. Particularly at stocked areas. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts