NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Hatteras from the 29th-30th to see what the fishing is like up in that area. Can anybody help me with some land marks around that area to help me find some trout/flounder/reds?? I'll have my skiff along. I've herd a lot about the Oregon Inlet, Propeller slough, Green Island Slough...any ideas about these places?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Specrek! If you are taking a skiff, then I would suggest that you fish on the sound side of Ocacoke. Hatteras and Hatteras Island are a good ways from Oregon Inlet and the water there is not really skiff safe. You may feel more secure than me on the water, but with the currents and depth in the inlet for gulfstream rigs, I would look at the flats on Ocacoke's west side. Good place for flounder, and the reds will be out of the feeder creeks and marsh guts around the inlets. As for specks, they may still be back in the marsh guts and feeding off the points and mouths of the creeks. Just my two and 1/2 cents worth. You could also check with Red Drum tackle shop in Hatteras village, or visit Frisco Rod and Gun in Frisco. I'm sure they know what is going on covering the entire area around Hatteras. Good Luck, wished I was gonna be there too. I love it out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too are headed for Hatteras the week of 30th. My family and another family will be staying in Hatteras Village. I am bringing my 20' bass boat so we can fish the sound.
While the kids and wives do the beach thing, my bud and I will be fishing. What will be the best seasonal catch to target? I have some experience fishing for red fish and trout. Will the trout still be active? I love the taste of trout and love the pull of a red fish. The tip above was great. Any more advice? I plan to fish every day. I have never caught a flounder so I want to break that trend, plus I want to fry some of those babies up! Of course with some hush puppies. My doctor does not need to know. Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I too are headed for Hatteras the week of 30th. My family and another family will be staying in Hatteras Village. I am bringing my 20' bass boat so we can fish the sound.
While the kids and wives do the beach thing, my bud and I will be fishing. What will be the best seasonal catch to target? I have some experience fishing for red fish and trout. Will the trout still be active? I love the taste of trout and love the pull of a red fish. The tip above was great. Any more advice? I plan to fish every day. I have never caught a flounder so I want to break that trend, plus I want to fry some of those babies up! Of course with some hush puppies. My doctor does not need to know. Thanks!
Just FYI, don't forget to bring your engine flush and a garden hose. You wanna get that salt out ASAP..Live wells and pumps too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup, good tip. I usually try to find some fresh water to put the boat in after the trip to a sound. A fresh water river or lake works nice. I open up the plug to take in lots of water. Nothing fresh around Hatteras I presume, it being a barrier island and all?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fished out of Hatteras Inlet for years now. Always ramped at Teaches Lair. From there it's a quick 5 minute ride to Hatteras Inlet. Look for Flounders in the 8-14 ft range on the sound side along the inlet. Almost always too rough to take a skiff thru the Inlet. But a nice drift from the inlet along Okracoke to Pelican Island and vice versa is a good one! But be careful of the larger boats going in and out of the inlet, they tend to kick it up. Look for specks along weeds. Can always find blues too and when you finally get used to the flounder bite, bout then you will pick up a skate. You will understand later:D. For the flounder use fresh finger mullet from the cast net if you have one otherwise you may have to search around for them at the bait stores and that can be tough. Second choice is 2-3 pound mullets and cut the filets into 2-3" strips. Scout the bait stores the day before to see what is available and hope it's still there the next morning. As for the rig use Carolina with 3/4 oz or a double rig.

Good luck and wish I was there. My 30 day countdown doesn't start till July fourth:rolleyes:

Reactions: DawgDad

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
There is an area of shoreline behind Ocrcoke about 31/2 miles past Hatteras Inlet that runs for about 4 miles that I would use if the conditions in Ocracoke Inlet get to rough. A lot less traffic back there also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.