NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!
Im going to Oak island in august. Need to know if the surf fishing will be ok then? If you have any suggestions let me know. I like to fish the tide changes. Witch tide do you guys like to fish the most? I know what your thinking any tide as long as Im fishing! Let me know what kind of bait and rigs you guys use. I've never fished here so kinda going in blind. Are the rip tides strong at oak island. What about a tackle shop to get bait?

Great Hook Sets!!!

Lugnutz

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Lugnutz,
Welcome to the forums. What part of august are you going to oak island? According to last years august reports the fishing was good early in the month and slowing a bit late. Should catch flounder, pompano, spanish and blues. There is Oak Island sporting goods at 8800 East Oak Island Dr. for bait and tackle. ph. 910-278-9872 . Live shrimp for the trout and live finger mullet for the flounder. If you don't get live shrimp use cut. There is also Dutchman Creek Bait and Tackle at 4019 Long Beach Rd. Southport, ph. 910-457-1221. Hope this helps and good luck.
Gery

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Hey Lugnutz, welcome to NC Angler!

Gery gave you great advice so let me just add to what he said.

For surf fishing, I like to scout the beaches at low tide for those holes and troughs behind sand bars, then fish those spots for a few hours on either side of high tide. That seems to work best for me, especially when targeting big red drum.

Boat & inshore, I fish for flounder more on the falling tide. For Specks near the inlets I often find the first few minutes of the falling tide (just after high tide) the best.

Carolina rigs are popular in these parts for flounder, specks and others. Capt. Owen Red Drum surf rigs are the way to go for Red Drum in the surf. For bottom fishing the 2 hook drop loop rig with a bank or sputnik sinker is hard to beat.

Another great bait here is the sand flea (mole crab). You can dig them up right around where the water's edge (you will see little holes with water bubbling out right after the water recedes). These are great baits for drum, pompano and other species.

I hope you catch 'em up!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Can't really top the above advice but I will add that there are two good piers, Yaupon and Ocean Crest that is if you enjoy pier fishing. You might be able to catch some spanish from the pier but that late could be slim pickings. As advised above you might want to stick to fishing around the inlet at Lockwood Folly. Fish both sides on the falling tide. I have done well there in the past. You can also fish the seawall above Yaupon towards Ft. Caswell. That area can be good with a mixed bag. Sometimes Black Drum are prevalent.

Mark

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
162 Posts
Heys guys great advice, I'm also going to OKI at the being of August. This will be year 5 or 6 and I've only surf fished once(I always forget my rod, don't ask) What size of weight should I be using? Always ended up on shore. When you say low tide that's morning right? Also is there a special license that I need?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Keith,
Most people start with 3 oz. weight and go up from there if needed. The tides are associated with the moon position. You have to look at the tide tables to determine what they will be for the time you are there. You can find that info. by clicking the link on the homepage of this forum. You need a saltwater license this year, $15.00, unless you have a lifetime license. Again you can check with the local tackle shops for up to date info when you arrive. Good luck and enjoy God's great creation.
Gery

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Just a reminder... If you fish from a pier or take a charter boat they should have a blanket license that covers you. Ask, don't assume. Also please follow size and creel limits as NC has changed them recently...A big ticket and lost gear can ruin a vacation for sure!!!..Best of Luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.