NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being mothers day and all I talked to mine. It sounds like this will be her last trip to Maine till I win the lottery and can float plane her in. It's a couple day drive and at 78 she is not looking forward to it. hahahaha. No one in their right mind would.

So, I need to find a closer place like the Tennessee, Kentucky, West Va, Virginia NC/ SC area. I am thinking mountains. No more than a day drive from Raleigh/Charlotte. We go to Maine the end of July. It's the best time of year up there (http://www.thevillagecamps.com/) and between the different bug infestations of Flies gnats and skeeters. In this area I am thinking end of May beginning of June.

I like the cabin setup at my place. The lake is pretty vacant and clear as gin. And then there is the guide service. Smallies and such. Mom is not into casting. So live bait like small fish and worms.

I would enjoy any pointers to any place you might know of you would take your 78 year old mom to fish for a week or two. Thanks...

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice thin g about NC is you can eat breakfast on a fishing pier at the coast and have dinner in a mountain cabin by a stream. Lots of water in this state in between. I don't have the cabin/resort/ etc experience to really chime in but I am sure many will. Keep in Mind places like Lake Hartwell and Santee in SC as well. Just as close. I think Kerr Scott might be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Closest thing you'll probably find to your Maine experience will likely be Fontana. I don't think the cabins are waterfront or particularly isolated, but it's generally a quiet area. There's smallmouth & walleye(along with quite a few other fun critters), and there's guide service available. WNCSlim is a member here who guides on the lake and a pm to him will likely net you some good information on the area.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have surfed a little on this.

Kerr Scott - Plenty of camping and trailer slots. Not much in the way of lakefront cabins.

Fontana - Might be ok.

Douglas Lake, Tn - Many lake front cabins.

Anyone know much about Douglas Lake?

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dunno anything about Douglas, but I do know several of the Tennessee lakes have houseboat rentals . Now that would be a fine vacation!
Geez, 10 years ago maybe. My son and I took a trip into Tenn to check out a couple lakes. One had houseboats and was very deep. We crossed over the outflow at the dam and there was a pillow of fog over the river. The water was real cold coming out of the dam. I was trying to remember what lake that was.

Yes, I am going to bring up the thought of a house boat. We could do that for a week as it would be close. And maybe my sisters kids would be interested. I could bring the boat and yaks and drag them behind the big craft.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I know guy that lives on Douglas, worked with him for 20 years in fact if your interested PM me and i will give you his number.

What about ReelFoot Lake? Not sure about the temps in the summer, but I also worked with a guy that made that trip every summer he carried a small freezer with him to carry back the Bream Fillets. Lots of Lodges and such to stay at.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Closest thing you'll probably find to your Maine experience will likely be Fontana. I don't think the cabins are waterfront or particularly isolated, but it's generally a quiet area. There's smallmouth & walleye(along with quite a few other fun critters), and there's guide service available. WNCSlim is a member here who guides on the lake and a pm to him will likely net you some good information on the area.
Fontana is a jewel. No way she won't have fun there. It's one of the prettiest lakes in NC, and has smallies, largemouth, spotted bass, crappie, catfish, walleye, even lake trout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.