NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often see high quality brands of fishing lines on sale on Ebay for what seems to be unreasonably low prices for primarily the big spools. I was wondering if lines, especially monofilaments and flurocarbon or co-polymer lines, even if stored properly, have a "shelf-life"? If so, what is it and how can you tell if the line has gone beyond it's life?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have ordered line off Ebay it has all been in good shape including the braids. The best way to store any line is a dark place at 65-75 degrees lines ordered from most cataolg orders is stored in boxes. Personally I have a small storage cabinet for all my lines. The worst thing of all for any lines is to be sitting on a shelf in sunlight and lights after a month or two it will become brittle. This depend on a number of factors most quality lines are coated to help with this problem, the stuff that comes off on your finger when spooling. For mono to check it I test it with a simple overhand knot to see if it breaks, this is something I have been doon for a while and know about what lb they should break.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts