NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit HPCL today with Gene, and had a good day. The bass were really on the floating worms, and we took it to 'em.
Although we got a few smaller fish on mag finesse and speedcraws, nearly all our keepers came on Zoom trick worms. I got mine on bubblegum, Gene got his on white. The fish were shallow, almost buried in the grass. It was find the grass, find the bass!
We had a total of 15 bass, many pushing 3 pounds. Very strong fighters too! Seemed like every fish was pulling drag!
Was a great time fishing with Gene again, he's a great guy, and great fisherman too! Water Shorts Plant community Watercraft Boat
Sky Cloud Water Goggles Vertebrate
Water Shorts Vertebrate Boat Lake

The HPCL remains hot so far.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Sounds pretty awesome, guys. Possible I may get there on Wednesday morning but I'll only have a few hours before I gotta pick up the little guy from school.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam, chunk those worms right in the grass. Work it out, then hang on. They were busting them just as the bait hit open water.
Also, Gene's idea of baiting the area where the kids fish with old bread is gonna happen. Outta make for some good fishing for the kids, plus Guffy is picking up a couple bags of trout chow too. I wonder when we should bait it? Early in the a.m., or an hour or two before they fish?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Nice trip, glad to see HPCL is having a good year. I'm going to have to get on that floating worm bite. I got into some fish a few years ago at Buggs on that pattern and it is a blast.

Question - what hook are you using for this? I've heard the straight shank is better but I've always used an EWG.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Got handful this morning at City Lake. Only had 2 hours and change to fish, caught 4 and lost a couple good 2lb'ers at the boat due to lack of comitment on the hook set. NW wind hampered me a bit and I had to leave the worm at the grass edges for 5 to 10 seconds, letting it sink slowly on the weight of just the hook. Then a twitch and they would grab it. They weren't hitting it on the surface. Not a bad hookup rate for only 2 hours.

As always, they were strong fighters for their size.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I also use 2/0 EWG gamakatsu; I don't know if it matters, but my reason is actually so that I can switch baits without retying. sometimes I throw lizards or speed craws or senko / mag finesse, so I like to have the option for a thicker bait without retying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.