NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, FINALLY got out and spent a few hours at an "undisclosed location". Tried a crankbait, a wacky senko and a swim jig. Caught quite a few small to medium ones on the swim jig but only small ones on the senko. It was a 3 inch one, first time I've tried that. Mostly medium and one large fish bit the crankbait. Brought along my baitcaster for cranking. I grew up using spinning reels and I'm trying to learn baitcasting. Making a little progress. Anyway, the big fish of the day caught on the crankbait was either 3.5 pounds according to one scale or 5.5 pounds according to another but DEFINITELY 20.5 inches long. Can anyone give me the name of a good scale besides the Rapala one? I tried that and I couldn't get it to work consistently. I've been using spring loaded scales but am starting to doubt their accuracy for obvious reasons. I took a picture of the fish on my orange ruler but for some reason my camera saved the picture to the camera itself and not the memory card. I lost the USB cord for the camera (it's an old HP) so I can look at it on the tiny screen on the back of the camera but that's it. Anyway, it was a great day. Caught so many small and medium sized fish I lost count. Tight lines! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, FINALLY got out and spent a few hours at an "undisclosed location". Tried a crankbait, a wacky senko and a swim jig. Caught quite a few small to medium ones on the swim jig but only small ones on the senko. It was a 3 inch one, first time I've tried that. Mostly medium and one large fish bit the crankbait. Brought along my baitcaster for cranking. I grew up using spinning reels and I'm trying to learn baitcasting. Making a little progress. Anyway, the big fish of the day caught on the crankbait was either 3.5 pounds according to one scale or 5.5 pounds according to another but DEFINITELY 20.5 inches long. Can anyone give me the name of a good scale besides the Rapala one? I tried that and I couldn't get it to work consistently. I've been using spring loaded scales but am starting to doubt their accuracy for obvious reasons. I took a picture of the fish on my orange ruler but for some reason my camera saved the picture to the camera itself and not the memory card. I lost the USB cord for the camera (it's an old HP) so I can look at it on the tiny screen on the back of the camera but that's it. Anyway, it was a great day. Caught so many small and medium sized fish I lost count. Tight lines! :)
FOLLOWUP: Well, I ordered a Mustad digital scale. Has anyone had any experience with those? If that doesn't work out, I'm going to get a Weston 20lb. scale.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Congrats on a good day; I don't have a really great scale to brag about, I sometimes wonder about mine as well.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I find that my Berkley digital scales are very accurate -- and that's what I've been using for years. Besides their accuracy, I use them in part because they're readily available at WallyWorld, so I can replace if/when needed. I find they just don't last very long -- no more than a couple of seasons, then develop some mysterious problem and I have to replace. They have replaceable batteries (the CR2032? watch-type wafers), but last time I tried to replace them, I could never get the unit working again. I've come to despise any spring scales I've used as extremely unreliable -- perhaps more expensive units work better (don't the real Boga grips have spring scales?). So I'm on the lookout for a better digital scale. FWIW // Joel

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a Rapala spring type of scale I won with a big bucket of other stuff in a tournament a while ago. I totally blame this scale on missing out on some 7 pounders! I should calibrate it but never got around to it.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I checked mine and it's a Berkley handheld digital, maybe the same one as Joel's since I also got it at WalMart. I have wondered about it from time to time but each time I have weighed a fish with it, and then weighed that fish in a tournament, the weight was within 1 to 3 ounces. I can settle for that, considering I paid I think under 20 bucks for it. Also FWIW.

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've checked my Berkley digital scales against known weight, and found it to be very accurate. I've read on the InterWebs that lots of non-fishermen use it (e.g., to determine shipping weight) because of its accuracy. have had a couple of issues with it, e.g., getting accidentally switched to metric/KGs (?!) instead of pounds, and sometimes it seems a bit fussy when you don't zero it out (e.g., re-weighing a fish -- have to make sure I've removed all weight from the scale to ensure it has reset back to zero -- otherwise I seem to occasionally get a false reading). there's a way to get it to remember or "hold" weights, but I read the manual and promptly forget how (!?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.