NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
You and your wife are tearing it up lately. Nice fish, but where is the Bowfin pic? I'd like to see that critter.
I would like to see the Bowfin pic too.

I've caught a smallish Bowfin in the upper end of Falls Lake (18" or so). Brutish toothy thing he was. I'm pretty sure I had one on a couple of weeks ago jigging in some shallow weeds near the Ledge Rock ramp.

But last week just below Route 50 on Falls I ran into 2 big fish that definitely weren't bass, they weren't cats, and they weren't carp. They were hanging shallow right up against shore and looked like they were bedding. They were both well over 25" or 30".

I saw them before they saw me and I already had a jig in the water. When they spooked I moved the jig into their path and one took it and I had him on for 2 seconds. Wow!! I went back a couple of days later but not enough sun to see them.

Can anyone confirm that there are Bowfin in the clearer waters of Falls below Route 50? Do they get that big? Anyone catch any?

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I hooked one last week in Lake Washington in Florida (St Johns River headwaters) that was the biggest I've ever caught... bout 20 inches I guess, mangled the mess out of my spinnerbait. Hard fighters but they will mess up some gear if you let them!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen more Gar than Bowfin in Falls, but any place shallow right now could have both from my experiences the last few years there. My buddy caught a Gar last year(30+") that was cruising the shallows.

-Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I finally confirmed that the big fish I've been seeing were Bowfins. This time I caught one north of I-85 on Falls. He was 27" long and I'm not sure who won. I broke my favorite flipping rod fooling around with him in the boat and broke his jaw trying to unhook him with pliers.

So I caught a 20" Bowfin a year or two ago on a deep fished jig. This year I hooked one in 1' of water in a weed bed near Ledge Rock then saw a pair of very large fish south of Route 50 where one bit my jig. I wasn't sure what they were but today's catch confirmed that they were all Bowfin.

Today I spotted the fish right up against the bank and assumed it was a Carp. Since he didn't spook as I got close and I had by fly rod rigged up I considered making a cast to the alleged Carp. But I got lazy and just decided to flip a jig on his head for practice. Seemed like I hit him and he spooked to deeper water... wait, I think he actually ate the jig and still has it! Nice very strong fighter but I knew I didn't have what I needed to boat or unhook him. I started a video but didn't have it aimed right. I tried to grap the hook with pliers but it ended up grabbing a lip which immediately broke due to the snake-like writhing. Then I just lined him aboard. Before I could get the pliers on him, I broke my rod tip off before dumping him back overboard.

Very prehistoric looking fish whatever that means. All of his fins, or rather his continuous fin, was tinged with blood at the ends. Could be from the fight or perhaps from spawning. I may have picked this one off a bed.

If I ever see another one that I can cast to, I will definitely pull out the fly rod just for kicks. It's clear to me that you can get a vicious reaction bite if you put one on their nose. Otherwise if I never catch another, I'll be good.

The Bass fishing was decent today - caught 7, 13" to 17", missed a few more. Most with a jig on cover with a squarebill and a Senko Flapping Hog accounting for a couple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.