NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This passed summer is the first year that I've really been able to enjoy fishing with my youngest son, He was six at the time by the way. He has a little trouble focusing at times and likes to cast more than fish LOL.
Well this past summer, he was able to settle down some once dad exchaged his snoopy pole for a Cane pole. There is a creek not to far from the house that is fairly secluded and almost always has a willing Pumpkin Seed or small base to bite.
I picked up my youngest after school and took him to the creek and we set to work. He loves to do things on his own and let me know right off the bat that he was good on his own and set to work baiting his hook and picking out a spot.

He fished up and down the bank and caught several smaller fish. A few blue gill, a Crappie or two, and a small bass. All in all it was a great day. He was bound and determined that he was going to catch dinner for us though. I had been tossing a beetle spin and a small worm just mainly occupying myself until he needed help. Sometime passed with out a bite and he was becoming restless. I can understand that one completely! I had my back turned for a second and I hear " Oh no you don't !!! " from behind me. I turn around to find my six year old son holding on to his cane pole for all he is worth. He had the end wedged into his hip and was leaning back trying to hang on.
I was slightly confused for a second until I realized what was happening. The fish he had was fighting him so much that due to his short stature, he couldnt' get the pole high enough to lift the fish from the water.
I leaned into give him a hand was greeted with a huge smile and him exclaiming " I've got him! I've got him! " so I backed off and let him handle his fish. He managed to lift the pole up as high as he could but the fish just weighed too much for the pole. The pole was nearly bent in half. He asked me to help him lift a little so I did. As the fish broke the water I saw one of the largest pumpkin seeds I'd ever seen on the end of his line. While trying to swing it onto the bank, the fish swam under a branch in the water. We got him out from under it without much trouble and as the fish broke the surface again my son Jace yelled " I got dinner Daddy!" Upon hearing this, the fish had other ideas and bucked off the hook. With a half mad, half sad look he turned to me and said " I wanted to take him home and eat him!"

I told him that you can't tell a fish he's dinner before he's on the cleaning table. They are masters of escape and will leave you empty handed if you tell them where they are headed like that. without missing a beat, he picked up his pole, rebaited and said " It'll be our secret then daddy." With that, he set back to fish. It soon grew dark and we headed home before the skeeters carried us off. that was one of the last trips we made before I deployed for the fall. I am eagerly awaiting my return home ( 8 days !!!) so that I can rejoin my lil fishing buddy again.

Rye

·
Registered
24 Posts
What an awesome story, thanks for sharing that. I love watching children fish. They are so determined that they can do it themselves, without anyones help. Sometimes however, they do get to the point that they realize, Daddy's help wouldn't be so bad right now. :)

I love your son's little "secret", I think he will remember that for a long time, LOL.

Just out of curiosity, where are you? I see that you say you will be coming home in 8 Days. (I bet your little fishing buddy can't wait either.) :)

Well, have a safe trip home, I am excited for you. :p

·
Registered
574 Posts
Great story Rye! Kids are awesome. BTW, where are you returning to? What area? Your welcome to bring the little guy out to Jordan lake when we have the Cub Scout Fishing Derby. We can introduce yours to mine, maybe let them start their own fishing buddy freindship (my guy is 7).

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us Rye. That little fella sounds like a pretty good fishing partner. A little stubborn is a good thing when it comes to getting the job done. I hope yours is done. You need to be over here taking that boy fishing! And it's gonna be prime time before long. AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
GREAT STORY! rye--- Give that young man a couple years and I believe he will give you some serious competition with his fishing. Be safe till you get back home.

Forrest

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rye,

I just wanted to tell you, that I don't think you could get home fast enough either. I know that I don't even know you, or any of the men and women there, but everyday I pray for you and them. I just want you to know that I personally want all of you to come home in 8 days.

I have a very hard time everytime I hear of another loss over there. I wish it didn't have to be this way.

My support, prayers, and my heart are with you.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad you all enjoyed the story... it is a wonderful memory for me and it makes it only that much better to have shared it with him.

Parrot,

I live in the Havelock area, about 3 hours form you. Wish I could make the derby but it doesnt' look like it'll work out this year.

Fojoy,

They say the student is always better than the teacher. I expect it won't be long before I am out fished everytime we take to the water.

Girlfish,

i am a contractor over here. As such I stay on base and don't contend with the dangers that our service members do. I am saddened by evey gathering I see for a memorial. The Marines and Soliders here have my utmost respect. I don't consider what I do here even close to what they do. I too wish they could all come home with me.

Rye

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad you all enjoyed the story... it is a wonderful memory for me and it makes it only that much better to have shared it with him.

Parrot,

I live in the Havelock area, about 3 hours form you. Wish I could make the derby but it doesnt' look like it'll work out this year.

Fojoy,

They say the student is always better than the teacher. I expect it won't be long before I am out fished everytime we take to the water.

Girlfish,

i am a contractor over here. As such I stay on base and don't contend with the dangers that our service members do. I am saddened by evey gathering I see for a memorial. The Marines and Soliders here have my utmost respect. I don't consider what I do here even close to what they do. I too wish they could all come home with me.

Rye

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rye,

Didn't realize you were so far away. However, we do most of our fishing in Carteret County over the summer and fall months. So we may still hook-up and let the boys fish together. I'll let you know next time we're headed down for a visit. Maybe go out around MHC/Fort Macon or meet up near Stella/Swansboro to fish the White Oak.

Be safe coming home.
PH

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parrot,

You are in western Raleigh correct? or have I gotten my towns crossed :confused:

I live just up the road from MHC, in fact you drive by my house to get there :)

Swansboro would be great too. I have a buddy that used to run a charter biz out of there. He's a great guy. Looks like we may hook up yet.

Rye

·
Registered
574 Posts
I work in Sanford, SW of Raleigh and live in Clayton, East of Raleigh. I grew up in Cape Carteret and my parents still live there. My wife is from Emerald Isle and her parents sold their place there and moved to Stella. They built a house on the White Oak River. It's about 5 miles upriver from Swansboro. By land it's between Maysville and Cape C. That's where I do most of my fishing lately. Seabiscuit is my father-in-law/fishing buddy. You can check out some his posts too, if you want to see more of the WO.

I'm sure we can hook up. I have a small boat, but it can accomodate us and the boys for inshore stuff.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
parrot,

Man, you are all around me!! LOL.

I have recently aquired 17'4 foot Tracker. I haven't even had it in the water yet :( . I'd say it was small boat too, but like yours it'll get us around the inside just fine.
In exchange for some secretson the WO, I'll show you a few holes on the Slocum creek and hancock creek ( I have to find them first:) )

Rye

·
Registered
574 Posts
rye said:
I have recently aquired 17'4 foot Tracker.
I could put mine inside that one :D. I've just got a 14.5 Collins that's old enough, though not pretty enough to be called a "classic". My father gave it to me last year. It's about as close as you can come to a free boat. Any boat owner knows there's really no such thing. I just got lucky on the cheapest (initial) costs. It floats, keeps us mostly dry and gets us to the spots.

We'll definately get together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.