NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I got busted for speeding on the way down to Ft. Fisher Saturday. I did not realize the speed limit was 25 :eek:in Kure Beach(my fault), was cruzin at 41 thinking I was in a 35. So, since I havent had a ticket in 17 years, I am hoping to get out of it, but figured I would stack the cards in my favor, anybody know a good traffic lawyer in the Wilmington area? I am sure it would be cheaper than my insurance going up for 3 years!

I did catch an 18inch trout and about a 13 inch flounder, both released...... Trout = Chartruese Redfish magic, Flounder = live Mud minnow on egg weight rig. I guess those cost me about $100 per pound.LOL. That blows my fishing budget for a year:( The trout hit the magic, in the bay heading toward the rock wall about 250yrds off the launch area. The Flounder was right behind Zeke's Island.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ouch
Glad ya caught some fish. That's a pretty good-sized trout!

Reactions: moseyak

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
It won't take a "good" lawyer, just a lawyer. You'll get a "prayer for judgement" or "falure to reduce speed" and pay court costs. Any local lawyer can handle it for $300-$400 make sure lawyer agrees to pay costs out of his fee. With a good driving record they just want your money...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't know how things are done in New Hanover County Court, but I know in Wake and Durham counties if you go talk to the assistant DA and see if he will let you plea guilty to 34 in a 25. You will have to pay the fine and costs, but your insurance will not go up.

You could also go and request a prayer for judgment continuance (PJC). You will only have to pay the court costs ($110.00) and if you do not get another ticket within 1 year, the charge is pretty much wiped from your record. The downside is that depending on your insurance company, you may or may not be hit with an insurance increase. Also, if you get another ticket in that 1 year period you get hit with BOTH of them.

I do know that your insurance will not go up if you plea to 9 over. I got caught recently cruising down six forks rd near Falls Lake when a Wake SO deputy for me for 64 in a 45. I was trying to get home to see the end of a Florida State - NC State football game as well as the beginning of a Carolina Hurricanes game. I didn't identify myself as an LEO until after he gave me the ticket (hey, he caught me fair and square). This happened summer of 2005. The deputy told me to go in and talk to him in court and he would get the charge dismissed. Thinking I would rather pay the fine as opposed to showing up on the "under the dome" section of the N&O for ticket fixing, I plead guilty to 9 over and paid the fine. No insurance jump.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
871 Posts
No offense to those that might be lurking but...............are there any good lawyers?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, there are.

moseyak,

If you live close by, stop in and talk to the DA with your ticket in hand. Sometimes if you catch them just right and you have no priors (17 years is a long time) they will make it disappear.

Nowadays, most judges do not give PFJs these days unless there are serve financial implications.

Worse case scenario is plea guilty to 9 mph over as stated above, no impact unless you get another ticket with 3 years.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Thinking I would rather pay the fine as opposed to showing up on the "under the dome" section of the N&O for ticket fixing, I plead guilty to 9 over and paid the fine.
Ah, those little things sometimes mean a lot, don't they...
That's what separates integrity from lip-service. Hats off to you, Ranger Greg!!

(I'm not trying to criticize anyone who may have done differently in similar situations -- nor am I casting stones, by no means do I claim to have acted with as much integrity as I'd like to have, all of the time... Simply trying to encourage Greg and whomever else might seek encouragement.)

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I received a ticket in Raleigh this past spring and got lots of letters from Laywers wanting to help. Similar case for me, no ticket in 25 years, doing 58 in a 45. Most of the lawyers all offered the same price - $195 which included their fees, the court cost and any fines. I spoke to one of the lawyers offices on the phone and she told me I could easily get a PFJ as long as I had not used one in 3 years and had no other tickets but she recommended not to, rather she said they could talk to the DA and get the charge lowered to 54 in a 45, that way no insurance leap and I save the PFJ in case I get another ticket - she said the PFJ was good for any minor traffic ticket not just speeding so I should "save" it. I took her advice, hired her and got it reduced.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ah, those little things sometimes mean a lot, don't they...
That's what separates integrity from lip-service. Hats off to you, Ranger Greg!!

(I'm not trying to criticize anyone who may have done differently in similar situations -- nor am I casting stones, by no means do I claim to have acted with as much integrity as I'd like to have, all of the time... Simply trying to encourage Greg and whomever else might seek encouragement.)
I appreciate that, though I am not seeking any applause. Mom always taught me that it takes a man to stand up and admit when he is wrong (If that's true, then I'm the manliest man I know LOL). My wife, however, was not happy that I didn't identify myself sooner. But she doesn't realize how much I hate it when an off duty LEO flashes his tin at me before I've had a chance to get out of my truck!

Do as I say, not as I do just doesn't cut it with me. The rules should apply to everyone, not just the privileged few.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nowadays, most judges do not give PFJs these days unless there are serve financial implications.
In Durham County, there is one judge (who is still sitting on the bench so he shall remain nameless) who would issue them in traffic court without the defendant even asking for them. Didn't seem to matter that they were indigent or not, he just handed them out like they were candy.

This same judge 2 years ago dismissed 3 speeding charges, and consolidated 4 driving while revoked charges under one PJC, all for the same defendant, as long as the defendant plead guilty to one count...ONE COUNT...of driving while license revoked. He was issued a fine, 1 year probation and out the door he went, probably to his car to drive himself home. Me and a Durham PD officer just looked at each other in total disbelief.

People get so mad when they get a ticket. I mean, it's not the best experience in the world, but if people could see what I see in the courts...it really isn't that big a deal. All you have to do is talk to the DA and more than likely you will be able to work something out to your satisfaction.

OH and while I'm here, let me dispel one myth. There is no such thing as a ticket quota. Matter of fact, as park rangers, we are discouraged from writing tickets. Most people either yell, lie or litter their way into a ticket with me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a friend that has had NUMEROUS speeding tickets and has gotten out of most all of them. Go with the advice of everyone and talk to the DA about reducing it (make sure that it is only 9 over, I've seen some LEO's and DA's try only 10. If they say no then go for the PJC. I would even go and get a copy of your driving record from the DMV showing that you haven't had a ticket for the past five years, however long they go back. This will give you physical evidence that you have behaved. :)

I would only talk to a lawyer if you are unable to get down there for your court date and as everyone has pointed out a lawyer should only be $300-$400 including cost of court and fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would not use a Lawyer. I got hit for 74 in 55, on Capitial Blvd in Wake Forest, and the PO told me to either do a PJC or go 9 over.Them laywers will haunt you till your date in court comes up, they want upwards of 300 bucks and it cost me 130 for court fees and ticket, and alittle time.
On the bright side of it...It now becomes a day off to go fishing after court...get up and go early , beat the rush and go FISHING...I went and probbaly had one of my best days down at Falls.
Just my way of justifing spending all that money.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Get ready to empty your mail box... about a billion attorney letters will be fillin it up!

hey, I thought there was no more prayer for judgement???.. there was an article in the Fayetteville Observer that you couldnt "pay your way out via attorney and not show in court" anymore...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Get ready to empty your mail box... about a billion attorney letters will be fillin it up!

hey, I thought there was no more prayer for judgement???.. there was an article in the Fayetteville Observer that you couldnt "pay your way out via attorney and not show in court" anymore...

I don't know about not having PJC's any more, but I do know that there are many people, either in grass roots efforts or at the government level who are trying to get traffic tickets harder to get out of. I think the media have run stories about people getting out of tickets or having them heavily reduced where they should, under the law, have lost their driving privileges or had huge insurance premium hikes.

Each county is run differently. It could be that the DA in Cumberland county has stated to his folks "No more PJC's for X, Y or Z charges".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes, fortunately some things in Cumberland Count Trafic Court are changing for the better. The close attorney-judge relationships of the past are hopefully near the end with our new judges recently elected. If you get a ticket and are guilty then you are guilty and you should pay the price, especially drinking and driving. In Cumberland County in the past, if you got a bad ticket including DUI, you just had to get one of the two "special" attorneys who had "special" relationships with our former "special" judges.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I'll check But I belive that is more for dui's. There was a huge deal about everyone being able to get a dui charges thrown out for probabtion.. Im probably thinking about the wrong thing..But my last speeding ticket was 80 in a 70 on a suspended lic.. and I showed them I hadnt had a ticket in a long time...( was actually only 3 months before and I lost my lic for not paying a seat belt ticket and didnt know) But they dropped the charges and I got my lic back. I lost my lic when he gave me a warning for speeding and a ticket for taking off my seat belt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.