NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am late getting this typed up partly because we have been unsure of what was going to happen and where things were headed with my Dad.
He had a colon cancer tumor removed in January, had complications from the surgery, which kept him in ICU for 14 days and required another 8 weeks in the re-hab at the Brian Center. He gained back enough strength to come home and enjoy some time there. In fact he was able to get down to the shop and do some welding on a part for one of the neighbors tractors.
A couple of weeks back he had another blockage that required surgery this time it went well and he is probably going home tomorrow. He is feeling good at the moment and still is strong enough to walk around on his own and his mind is as sharp as ever. The bad part is that the blockage was caused by the returned tumor and there were signs of more present. The surgeon said more surgery would be a waste of time so he is going home to enjoy what time he can there.
He is in good spirits and looking forward to getting home. Mom is holding up well, and of course looking forward to getting back to home as well.

Prayers for them during this time are needed and appreciated by all of us.

I know I should have updated his condition before now, but not knowing anything to tell mad it hard for me to put down anything in writing. I got calls from a couple of RedXers today that prompted me to quit delaying and write this. My apologies for being so long and my thanks for thinking of us.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Darrell you and your family are in my prayers. Of course if I can help in any way all you have to do is say the word.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You know we have you in our hearts Darrell. Please don't hesitate to call if you need anything at all, we won't hesitate to help.
Shu said at dinner last night to tell Mr. Darrell he'll come help too.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
All things are possible through God who strengthens me...!!! Darrell , you have many friends here that will pray for you & help you in any way we can. Please don't hesitate to ask or reach out to us, that's what friends and family are for. We are all Gods childern , so that makes us family. You are always one to offer your help to others at any time, it's time that we offer & reach out to you. What ever we can do with in our will...please let us know. There's nothing wrong with asking for help because we all need help from time to time. We love you & we will be praying for you & your family that things get better & that you have peace & comfort to endure throughout this process. May God give you & your family the strength to cope with things and give you some quality time together. Always take the time to let those you love know how you feel about them & what they mean to you. We are not promised tomorrow, so live each day to it's fullest. We are here if you need us brother, just ask. Prayers sent for your family.. We love you...!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Will be praying for your Father. One word of warning though...if your father is a drinking man...please keep him away from alcohol if he is undergoing any chemo. My Dad died of colon cancer only because he refused to put the vodka down while undergoing chemo.. The doctor told my Mom that alcohol counters the effect of the chemo as if he wasn't receiving any chemo at all. Prayers for your Dad will continue and as I just told several NCAngler members just last week...I strongly believe in the power of prayers...but I believe in Jesus more...Don't give up on him and he won't give up on you.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We took Pop home yesterday and got him settled in the house sometime early afternoon. He is weak from the surgery and lack of anything to eat while recovering from the re-section. He is walking with his walker over the house, and still very capable of looking after himself for the most part. He had a good breakfast and lunch and pulled a stool to the sink and washed the breakfast dishes. He should be able to enjoy life form now till the next tumor grows enough to cause problems. We have no estimate on how long that will take but Hospice has taken over his care and are being extremely supportive of his and Mom's needs even in this early stage. They are truly great folks, I can't imagine how hard of a job it would be

Thanks for all of the support, and prayers
Darrell

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.