NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law asked where is a good place to buy/have installed a trailer hitch in Raleigh area? Anybody had good experience?

Thanks,

·
Registered
526 Posts
Raleigh Hitch

Reactions: skooteri

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Raleigh Hitch. I run from U Haul, what you get from them all depends on the abilities of the guy working that day. And they dont pay well so you know what they attract. Most vehicles now are simple bolt mount hitches and plug in wiring harnesses made for that vehicle. If he can change his own oil and a flat tire he can do a hitch unless it's an odd one. I usually get my best deals here for hitches http://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.htm

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
It's harder than oil and flats.... neither generally involve drilling into the frame, and about half the hitch installs do... And some involve relocating the muffler a few inches, and of course, finding someway to hold a hundred pounds of hitch while you bolt it in. And of course, some involve cutting the plastic bumper guard. I won't do it for the last reason, not sure I could do that with good results.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Never had to do any of that except drill one hole which did require dropping the tail pipe out of it's mount. . Depends on what you're working on I'm sure.
It's harder than oil and flats.... neither generally involve drilling into the frame, and about half the hitch installs do... And some involve relocating the muffler a few inches, and of course, finding someway to hold a hundred pounds of hitch while you bolt it in. And of course, some involve cutting the plastic bumper guard. I won't do it for the last reason, not sure I could do that with good results.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
My currect car (2012 Ford Escape) would need the bumper cover cut, and the tail pipe relocated about 6". I've already looked into it.

To me, that's a professional job, as I'm a stooge with anything other than brute force methods of work.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Never had to do any of that except drill one hole which did require dropping the tail pipe out of it's mount. . Depends on what you're working on I'm sure.
The way I look at it is if it were intended to have a hitch it would have come with one or provisions would be made for one, ie empty holes.
I'm just not the small car hitch kinda guy. Give me something to work with like FRAME RAILS instead of unibodies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts