NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. So I'm new to fly tying, fly fishing in general too, and am really in need of materials. I got a scientific angler kit for my birthday and it had some good stuff to start out, but I need a lot more. I've picked up a few other things that I've stumbled upon, but wish I had a good and consistent place to buy. Any suggestions? I live in the winston-salem area. Great outdoor provisions has some stuff, but a lot is overpriced. I'd really like to avoid breaking the bank. Would appreciate any suggestions, whether they be online dealers or stores. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Well...In downtown Statesville...just about 25 minutes west of you is a store with the best stocked tying materials selection in the region. That's what the customers say. You can touch it. Feel it. Ask questions. The old guy that works there most of the time knows the basics of fly tying. But the guy who stocks the tying materials is a whiz. And, they are open until 7pm many nights and until 8:30pm on Thursdays. Give them a call or stop by...happy to field questions. This weekend hours are a little shorter and there is a "fill-in" clerk....but he's also a fly tyer.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Since you're new to fly tying, you may want to use some other materials that you don't buy in a fly shop. $1 brushes from the Dollar tree can be used. Wool brushes from Wal- Mart can be used also. When the Santa Clause faces come out, the beards on them are mostly wool. Dollar Tree will also have those. The puff ball toys with the long tentacles can also be used to tie up worm like flies. Fish will hit flies tied out of these materials, but maybe some fish will hit better with materials from a fly shop. If you have friends who hunt, they may give you buck tails or squirrel tails.

·
Registered
699 Posts
SUPPORT YOU LOCAL FLY SHOP!!!!!!!

Seriously, you may save a couple bucks online but you can support you local economy and probably get more than $2 worth of advise every time you go in. To top it off, next time a piece of gear breaks, or something goes wrong, you have some well made connections and friends to help you out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
depends on what you are after. Bass? bluegill? trout? redfish?

Just want to have something pull on the end of the line? You can tie flies with cut dog hair! The shop in Statesville is a high quality shop and as stated above you can touch feel and see what you are buying. Fly tying is an art and you can be very creative. I tie with dental floss (try to break it) but I tie big hairy stuff. I will not work for dainty trout flies, it builds up too fast. .99 cents buys you 50 yards, which can last 50-75 flies. Beadchain eyes are popular, they can be bought at a hardware store for very low costs and make great eyes. tough to make a strip of deerhair fit for tying from your uncles fresh kill and the eastern US hair is not fit for floating bass bugs, go to the Statesville shop for something like that. I got a strip of elk hair there that was #1 quality and enought to tie a lot of flies for about 12 bucks.

Its a balance between local shops and craft shops. and raising a shooting a rooster of your own, yes I have considered it and one day will do that!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on the fly tying kit, I've only been tying for a few years. I agree with the idea of finding a good shop to purchase materials from. You might pay a little bit more for some things, but the knowledge and advice you get from an experienced tier more than makes up for the couple of extra dollars you might spend.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't tie but my buddy does. One of his biggest complaints ordering materials online is the colors not being the shade he was expecting once it arrives. Another good reason to buy at a local fly shop.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
All good advice Richard (Carolina Mountain Sports) in Statesville will take good care of you with material, tackle, waders etc. but making a trip through the Dollar Tree or a hobby/craft shop will give you a chance to experiment with things you might not try otherwise.

Darrell

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys! I think I'll try a little bit of all of it. I have been experimenting with your sort of "non-traditional" materials like a few of you said and will continue to do so with the added suggestions. I'll have to check out that store in Statesville, too, when I get the chance. And the J Stockards website seems like a great one, especially a little while from now once I have a better idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
deciding on what you want to tie (poppers, damsels streamers etc.) will help you with your material concerns. it would be a good idea to check the thrift stores for those plastic rolling carts to store the gear you'll acquire. you can get gear for everything even things you tie once, but you'll need a lot of storage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A good means of storage is essential. If you have pets, especially cats, they'll get into materials for sure. I'm pretty lucky because I get to use the spare bedroom for tying and extra storage so I can keep the door shut and the pets out.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Not trying to undermine local fly shops. Just remembering how many flies I tied that looked so bad. They would have been a waste of quality materials. I rarely use those materials that I mentioned now.
Whenever I go to the mtns, I stop in Richard's shop ( Carolina Mountain Sports ) if time allows. I have found some good deals there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I think a lot of it right now is kind of what you mentioned. With my kit I got a limited supply of quality materials and I'm afraid to waste them by not using them the right way. That being said, I just wanted to get some cheaper stuff to add quantity as there is only so much I can do with a chartreuse bucktail lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
SUPPORT YOU LOCAL FLY SHOP!!!!!!!

Seriously, you may save a couple bucks online but you can support you local economy and probably get more than $2 worth of advise every time you go in. To top it off, next time a piece of gear breaks, or something goes wrong, you have some well made connections and friends to help you out.
I would love to if ours didn't suck!! :(

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
If nothing is close by with good quality synthetic materials then flytyersdungeon.com is a good place to get them from. I would buy local if we had any shops near by so I do go to the crafts store a bit. I look in the clearance area of most stores I go into just to see if there is anything laying in there that I might be able to use for a fly.

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I started out with a fly tying kit with a clamp on non rotary vise. It was the Lefty Kreh kit, and had a fair amount of materials. I also got a DVD with Lefty giving the tying lessons. Learned a lot from that.
If you get the chance to shop at Carolina Mountain Sports, they usually have some materials in a grab box that can be bought for a good price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.