NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newcomer to this board, and am very interested if anyone has seen or caught 'big' - say over 15 Lb or so - Common (not Grass) Carp around the Triangle?

I've been fishing Jordan and Falls Lakes on and off for a number of years and have found very many small carp, of less than 10 Lbs but never heard or seen a large one.

Big Grass Carp (amur), yes, in Falls and other local lakes, such as Lynn ......

I'd be most interested in your experiences.....:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of curiousity, whereabouts in Falls have you seen large grass carp?

Thanks,

Shawn
Shawn,
A friend caught a 26.8 and lost a larger grass carp when he fished Falls a couple of years ago. I'll try to find out where he fished & can let you know if I discover his honey hole ;) . I suspect there may be a bunch of them in there, though

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I have fished around Clayton and Grantham and seen large carp while striper fishing. The biggest ones I have ever seen have been in the Cape Fear. The Cape Fear seems to be a little cleaner water to. These were wild carp too. Common carp, not the ones that are stocked for algae control.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never put my boat on the Cape Fear, Breadman. Do you have any recommendation for me on where to put in and look for the carp there, please? (it's closer to me than the Neuse) . Thanks again, you are obvously an observant angler.

The biggest ones I have ever seen have been in the Cape Fear. The Cape Fear seems to be a little cleaner water to. These were wild carp too. Common carp, not the ones that are stocked for algae control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are any of you carp seekers fly-fishing for carp? If so, I would be interested in contributing/receiving info about other good flats in and around the triangle. Nothing beats wading in two feet of water sight-casting to large feeding fish.

I only know that I've seen carp mudding in the Eno, but the water clarity wasn't favorable for sight-casting to them so I don't really know if there were any of substantial size.

I've caught 3 over 20 pounds including one at 32.5 pounds (on a 6-weight) out of Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. In Raleigh I've only found grass carp so far, but I did just move here recently. I'd appreciate the info on Jordan and Falls locations for 5-10 pounders if anyone can share the location of a nice flat or two.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Cape fear river Lee County line on Hwy 42, (near Lee county gamelands), boat access at the NW side of the bridge over the river there.

Lot's of carp west of the bridge in there.

About 35-40 minutes North of Spring Lake. (maybe.... 40-45 miles? somewhere in that ball park)

87 North into Sanford, Turn right at the light there at Lowe's, follow the 42 sign when you take a left hand turn heading north. Once over the bridge, turn left and there's the boat ramp access.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
StarFlyfish, I have tried to catch carp on fly in the Eno and in Jordan, but with really minimal success. There are flats, but it seemed to me very difficult to sight fish for them in these waters, and I found trying to catch bubblers a complete exercise in frustration (except once).

Can I suggest you attend one of the monthly meetings of the Triangle Flyfishers, as there are several fishers with much more skill and success at carp catching on fly than myself.

Many of the Raleigh park lakes seem to have large Grass Carp whic should be starting to show shortly (perhaps try Lakes Lynn and Durant for starters?)

Good luck

Are any of you carp seekers fly-fishing for carp? If so, I would be interested in contributing/receiving info about other good flats in and around the triangle. Nothing beats wading in two feet of water sight-casting to large feeding fish.

I only know that I've seen carp mudding in the Eno, but the water clarity wasn't favorable for sight-casting to them so I don't really know if there were any of substantial size.

I've caught 3 over 20 pounds including one at 32.5 pounds (on a 6-weight) out of Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. In Raleigh I've only found grass carp so far, but I did just move here recently. I'd appreciate the info on Jordan and Falls locations for 5-10 pounders if anyone can share the location of a nice flat or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'd appreciate the info on Jordan and Falls locations for 5-10 pounders if anyone can share the location of a nice flat or two.
Some of the trail-accessible flats in beaverdam rec area (falls) contain a lot of this class of commons.

Specifically: 36° 2'16.68"N, 78°40'56.40"W

Hackle

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I've never put my boat on the Cape Fear, Breadman. Do you have any recommendation for me on where to put in and look for the carp there, please? (it's closer to me than the Neuse) . Thanks again, you are obvously an observant angler.
There are a couple of ramps in the Lillington area on the Cape Fear. Careful though, that is some rocky terrain in that area of the river. There is a wildlife access on the Neuse in the Grantham, Bentonville area. It has been so long since I have been to any of these areas, I couldn't even tell you how to get to them. I am sure the Wildlife Commission has maps online or something.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A couple of weeks ago at the Jordan Dam tailrace I witnessed a fellow catching several large common carp on homemade dough balls. We were on the Haw River side fishing from the rip-rap below the tailrace.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts

common carp grass carp
The common carp is usually vibrant in color, and looks similar to a big goldfish. The grass carp is usually white or silver, and are not known for biting hooks. They are usually snagged, but they will occasionally hit a lure, especially if it has a little algae or moss on it. The grass carp you can see playing in the water on hot days. Their fins will be sticking out of the water, and they look similar to catfish when doing this. They get big. A good friend of my family owns a pond, and keeps them stocked for algae control. The Grass Carp gets very big. I have seen fifty pound fish. The only time I have known them to bite a hook EX. I can be fishing a bettlespin, and snag it in a clump of moss. I will jerk it across the water trying to get it of, and that is when a carp will hit it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.