NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A south west wind has been pushing warm water toward Ocracoke and the beaches south of Cape Hatteras. Look for a full on drum bite to develop tommorow or Friday as well as some good mullet fishing and some other fish as well. The wind is expected to shift friday night around midnight so the weekend probably will see fish but in lesser #s. RDT reported several big drum caught yesterday so I feel pretty sure the #'s will increase until the wind changes. I hope this helps someone hang a big one. Check out the sea surface temps before you go to give you an idea as to where to start fishing.:) AL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, Do you have the link for... National Weather Service-Carolinas Coast
I tried to insert it and after 30 min.s gave up on it. Here's the broken one. http:natilus.baruch.sc.edu/carolinas/carolinascoast.php
If someone can figure this out it is a much more user friendly site for trip planning. I have it in my favorites and that was where I was watching the SST's

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa there. I guess I missed. the water temp dropped from 65 to 53 last night for some reason but is building back up. The gulf water seems to be hanging out in the same place so it looks like maybe just a few big drum and and a few puppy drum will be caught. Normally a sw wind will bring them in along with some warm water but it doesn't appear to be bringing the warm water in fast enough to make up for last night and fri night the wind will shift to North according to the national weather svc.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well at least it is the right day in March! But the water temps were surf temps taken at the point in Hatteras. But the water temps at Ocracoke probably remained the same. I think the wind layed enough for some of that cold Labrador current to push into the vicinity. Oops just realized also that today is the 12th instead of the 14th. So much for having it all on one page. I wondered why their bouy data was not working. They need a banner that says out of service for dummies like me. The wind direction is still what they need for a good bite this time of year.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well yesterday was pretty good all in all according to Red Drum Tackle. While only 6 big drum were counted they had plenty of action from the smaller ones and big blues with some large flounder being caught and good numbers of sea mullet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.