NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helol anglers,
I'm new to catching fish in the surf. I was wondering if my setup will bee good for my target species. I have a10 foot offshore angler power stick from bass pro and looking to get a penn battle. Does anyone recommend a reel size for the penn battle? Line type? My intent with the rod was something I could throw lures on and haul a good amount of lead out too. I'm trying g to catch bluefish, big reds, and shark. Striper too if I can. I'm in camp lejeune so I'll be fishing onslow beach alot. Can I take my 10ft rod to other places nearby or do I need lighter or heavier tackle?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
If you are going to use braid or other "superline" then either the 2000 or 3000 will work. If you want a balanced set up then the 3000 or 4000 would balance better. Contrary to what you might have heard long "Hatteras heavers" are not necessary to catch fish in the surf. More fish are caught in the first 30 yards then 300 yards out. These fish would be speckled trout, red drum, black drum, sea mullet, pompano among others. For large sharks yes you will need long casts or even need to kayak out the bait. As to striper in the surf, not going to happen off Onslow Beach. You will need to go to Hatteras/Avon/Duck for that and get lucky.

·
Registered
851 Posts
And as mentioned on the other thread, no one setup will work. Far as sharks, they swim right at your feet as well. Can toss a noggin or steak underhand in the surf during the summer months and get all the black tips, sand sharks you can stand, size varies.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you are going to use braid or other "superline" then either the 2000 or 3000 will work. If you want a balanced set up then the 3000 or 4000 would balance better. Contrary to what you might have heard long "Hatteras heavers" are not necessary to catch fish in the surf. More fish are caught in the first 30 yards then 300 yards out. These fish would be speckled trout, red drum, black drum, sea mullet, pompano among others. For large sharks yes you will need long casts or even need to kayak out the bait. As to striper in the surf, not going to happen off Onslow Beach. You will need to go to Hatteras/Avon/Duck for that and get lucky.
A hatteras heaver is just that . For Hatteras not Onslow beach. Depends entirely where you fish. For a solid week this summer on vacation, I and a friend were the only ones catching ANYTHING out of the surf in the places we fished because we could go long. Because we had invested big in going long and practiced enough to go long. And we caught fish all week long day and night. High or low tide. Always be prepared to go long. You can go short with long but not long with short. We watched people up and down the beach for a solid week catch nothing fishing in the first 30 feet. We steadily reeled them in.

But it depends on alot more than people realize or want to realize. Where you are fishing for starters, slope of beach, sand bars, cuts, sloughs. Water full of pinfish or crab. Muddy water. Sometimes the only way is to go long. I can show you the best hole on Carolina Beach full of whiteys but if you can't cast to it, it's done you no good.

The reason the majority of people don't go long....they can't. Between equipment and technique they are stuck in the 1st 30 feet so that is where ALL the fish are caught...so that becomes where most fish are caught....for them.
Behind the second bar is where I love to be and where I've caught some of my most memorable fish. Sometimes they don't bite there but that is why we have staggered set out.

My first question here would be since shark fishing was mentioned....how big a shark is your target? Because we can target 4 footers or 10 footers off Onslow Beach.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
If you strictly want to soak bait, bottom rigs. The 10ft with a 4000-5000 series will do a lot of what you're looking for. Then you need a nice light setup to throw lures. I like a 7-7.6 rod and a 2500-3000 series reel for jigs, spoons.
If you get serious and want to really get into surf fishing you need to go with a conventional reel and get good at casting it. aka: the "Hatteras Heaver" Guys like Drum Runner know their stuff in this arena but you can break the bank if you aren't careful so weigh what you do and how often you do it vs what you spend.. A good low buck shark reel would be a Penn 6/0.

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
A good surf setup.
I'll always recommend above average gear because of two things.
Chances of equipment frustration will be low and if you decide surf fishing isn't for you, you have something to sell with the ability to recoup most of your money.
Graphite rods and performance oriented reels with well known track records.

I'm definitely not wealthy but when it comes to equipment to fish or hunt I buy nice stuff. I save for it.
Average surf fishing outfit for me will clock in around 600 bucks by the time you line the reel.
You CAN tell the difference. So much so anything less feels inferior.

The Blue Yonder just came back from being discontinued for around the 4th time. Only this time they have a 7000 series Blue Yonder offering as well as the famed 6500 option. Arguably one of the best casting reels out there and has been for years.
Both of these reels sell for 250 a piece. For anyone that seriously surf fishes these reels shouldn't be overlooked.
Parts availability is fantastic both in the after market and OEM arenas. You can get your money out of a Blue Yonder and a good chance of getting more if taken care of. They'll hold up better than an open face on large fish simply because of line orientation and what is taking the pull. there is really nothing to go out on these reels other than drag washers and gear set which I've never lost a gear set. Drag washers I replace yearly in all my reels whether it needs it or not. I just keep them all on the same maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A good surf setup.
I'll always recommend above average gear because of two things.
Chances of equipment frustration will be low and if you decide surf fishing isn't for you, you have something to sell with the ability to recoup most of your money.
Graphite rods and performance oriented reels with well known track records.

I'm definitely not wealthy but when it comes to equipment to fish or hunt I buy nice stuff. I save for it.
Average surf fishing outfit for me will clock in around 600 bucks by the time you line the reel.
You CAN tell the difference. So much so anything less feels inferior.

The Blue Yonder just came back from being discontinued for around the 4th time. Only this time they have a 7000 series Blue Yonder offering as well as the famed 6500 option. Arguably one of the best casting reels out there and has been for years.
Both of these reels sell for 250 a piece. For anyone that seriously surf fishes these reels shouldn't be overlooked.
Parts availability is fantastic both in the after market and OEM arenas. You can get your money out of a Blue Yonder and a good chance of getting more if taken care of. They'll hold up better than an open face on large fish simply because of line orientation and what is taking the pull. there is really nothing to go out on these reels other than drag washers and gear set which I've never lost a gear set. Drag washers I replace yearly in all my reels whether it needs it or not. I just keep them all on the same maintenance schedule.

I am also new to surf fishing and agree with you on saving to buy above average gear. What rods do you use or recommend?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I use a discontinued Daiwa line of surf rods. The Interlines, an eyeless rod. I bought a small stockpile of the Interlines when they were discontinued and I still look for them here and there.
If I had to go another route I would probably go with St. Croix for a store bought. Other than that I would get back into building rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.