NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camped at Goose Creek State Park this weekend. We had our 14.5' square stern canoe w/ trolling motor. My son caught 11 flounder, 2 stripers and 5 largemouth, and I caught 3 flounder and 1 tagged striper. This was the first tagged fish we have ever caught. All fish were carefully released. We had best success using zman white (slam shady and pearl) 4' paddle tails on owner flashy swimmer jigs, and also on eye strike texas eye jigs. These jigs seem to get snagged much less than a standard jig head with the hook exposed out of the back. The downside, at least for us, is that you miss a lot of fish with these jigs... must be the fish is biting the paddle tail and actually fighting for a few second before it lets go. True to their rep, the zmans hold up well to the abuse. I was really amazed by the flounder population. The water was clear and you could see mud clouds from spooked flounder when the canoe got too close. We spent most of our time fishing flatty creek, but also caught flounder up goose creek. One morning on flatty creek we encountered a group (~10) small mammals(?) swimming around with their heads barely sticking out of the water, if we got too close, they would submerge and resurface 10' away, they were much smaller than otters. I was hoping that we would catch a speckled trout, but no luck. I would appreciate any pointers on when and how to find specks at Goose Creek. Overall, it was a great weekend spent in a beautiful place. Water Cloud Sky Plant Flounder Smile Sky Fish Ray-finned fish Fin Water Fisherman Fish Plant Lake Water Terrestrial plant Lake Fisherman Grass

·
Registered
572 Posts
As water temps cool the trout will begin moving out of the river and into the creeks—maybe another 3-4 weeks, barring any tropical storm activity or heavy rain. I am expecting to see a lot of high quality fish this fall. Fishing should be red hot right through early December.

In the beginning, start near the mouths, and then as temps continue to fall go further up into the creeks. In your canoe, you could also try Bath and Back Creeks, Belhaven, Wright Creek at the lower Pungo, South Creek at Aurora, and Campbell’s creek farther down 33. Good launch points/ramps at all of the above.

Reactions: badankles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As water temps cool the trout will begin moving out of the river and into the creeks—maybe another 3-4 weeks, barring any tropical storm activity or heavy rain. I am expecting to see a lot of high quality fish this fall. Fishing should be red hot right through early December.

In the beginning, start near the mouths, and then as temps continue to fall go further up into the creeks. In your canoe, you could also try Bath and Back Creeks, Belhaven, Wright Creek at the lower Pungo, South Creek at Aurora, and Campbell’s creek farther down 33. Good launch points/ramps at all of the above.
Thanks for sharing this info. Looking forward to the cooler water temps! -Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts