NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally warmed up enough for the fiddlers crabs to start coming out of hibernation. I took advantage of a warm day and low tide to catch a bunch so I am looking forward to getting out and looking for some Tautog this week.

Had a great Easter Sunrise at my house yesterday, you can see an Osprey on the top left as the sun was rising.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Opti, when the tide is low they are easy to catch by hand. You'll get pinched every now and then but it's worth it. Taylor's Creek in Beaufort at low tide is a great place to catch them easily because they are there by the thousands. Some people bury buckets and do it but it's not worth the trouble IMO.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
How do you hook them (break off the big claw)? How long do they stay alive in a bucket?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
How do you hook them (break off the big claw)? How long do they stay alive in a bucket?
Remove the back leg, insert hook into the "socket" where the leg once was careful not to bring the hook point back out of the shell. They'll stay alive for a couple of days if kept in a bucket large enough for the amount you have with a little bit of moist sand in the bottom. You also need to keep them out of the heat. Get 30-40 out and place in a small coffee can, keep the rest in the cooler. They'll last a long time like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Opti, your story about the fiddler you caught was good for a solid laugh! "Before I could get it on the hook my kids named it". That's good stuff my friend!! And I hear ya, I chased those around for 2 yrs before someone told me a local tackle shop sold them 8 for a $1. I've even found them for $.10 a piece. Best ten cents I ever spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.