NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any opinions about taking out the middle bench so I can have a more open floor, building a semi deck (not for standing) but storage and a trolling motor up front (eventually for foot controlled)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hmmm, it looks like that seat goes to the floor. I see a hatch in that center seat. Storage? also, that is structural.

To flatten that bow section I would consider installing a deck at the first rise in the hull from the hole in the bow seat to the center seat. That's built in edge support there. And it will help keep the center of gravity down.

I would add at least a 2 x 2 wood support across the inside front of the center seat at the level of the first rise to help support another 2 x 2 wood support on the outside front of the seat. Drill the seat, and the wood and then use SS bolts and run then through all three layers and tighten them good. Because of the hatch size it would take two pieces inside. But this will stabilize that edge all the way across and you will not crack the fiberglass of the middle seat over time.

I would consider adding support at the hull points where the support for the deck is going to go. 4 spots would keep the flex out and allow you to install a post seat on that deck securely. I would also think about building those supports so they are level at the top so your supports do not need to be cut to the angle of the hull. You could cut wedges and fiberglass over them to make them integral to the hull. You could also add a stainless bolt into each to line up and keep the deck supports. Bolting the post in place should not be needed. If it is an inch or two tall the support should not get free. And then screw the deck down into the supports.

This would give you a flat area in the bow section, a seat, you can use the integral seats as foot rests when fishing and you can mount the foot control on the new deck also.

To me that area under the front seat looks more like a place to store the anchor and it's line. It does not look big enough to hold a battery. If you want to install it there... It's fiberglass. Cut it out and rebuild it to hold a battery properly.

An initial thought on a trolling motor/battery up front. I would consider cutting the top of the bow seat off. Install a shelf for the battery. Then raise the inside edge with the hole to the top of the hull and cover it. You could do the cover with wood and carpet. This should give you enough area to install the trolling motor. Depending on how low the shelf for the battery has to be.... You might still be able to have the anchor line storage area under it.

Hope this gives you an idea of the possibilities.

BUT.... Take the thing fishing first.

mikeski

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, it looks like that seat goes to the floor. I see a hatch in that center seat. Storage? also, that is structural.

To flatten that bow section I would consider installing a deck at the first rise in the hull from the hole in the bow seat to the center seat. That's built in edge support there. And it will help keep the center of gravity down.

I would add at least a 2 x 2 wood support across the inside front of the center seat at the level of the first rise to help support another 2 x 2 wood support on the outside front of the seat. Drill the seat, and the wood and then use SS bolts and run then through all three layers and tighten them good. Because of the hatch size it would take two pieces inside. But this will stabilize that edge all the way across and you will not crack the fiberglass of the middle seat over time.

I would consider adding support at the hull points where the support for the deck is going to go. 4 spots would keep the flex out and allow you to install a post seat on that deck securely. I would also think about building those supports so they are level at the top so your supports do not need to be cut to the angle of the hull. You could cut wedges and fiberglass over them to make them integral to the hull. You could also add a stainless bolt into each to line up and keep the deck supports. Bolting the post in place should not be needed. If it is an inch or two tall the support should not get free. And then screw the deck down into the supports.

This would give you a flat area in the bow section, a seat, you can use the integral seats as foot rests when fishing and you can mount the foot control on the new deck also.

To me that area under the front seat looks more like a place to store the anchor and it's line. It does not look big enough to hold a battery. If you want to install it there... It's fiberglass. Cut it out and rebuild it to hold a battery properly.

An initial thought on a trolling motor/battery up front. I would consider cutting the top of the bow seat off. Install a shelf for the battery. Then raise the inside edge with the hole to the top of the hull and cover it. You could do the cover with wood and carpet. This should give you enough area to install the trolling motor. Depending on how low the shelf for the battery has to be.... You might still be able to have the anchor line storage area under it.

Hope this gives you an idea of the possibilities.

BUT.... Take the thing fishing first.

mikeski
Awesome ideas! I wanted a deck originally but thought it would be too unstable?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I can't say it will be to unstable. You would not be up there when the boat is running. It would really depend how much boat is above the waterline and it is not a flat bottom boat.

If you look at boats with decks most are bass boats that are low to the water. They are wide and have a somewhat flatter bottom.

Yours is fiberglass so it's heavier than the same size aluminum boat. That could help with stability if the deck were higher.

mikeski

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.