NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my knot tying ability needs some work my questing is does it hurt the action or deter bites if I tie a surgeon loop to the end of my plug leader. I can tie into a loop better than I can tie say an Albright not to attack my leader to my main line.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Nope not a bit. That's actually what I do normally.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I would always just tie 2 trilene knots together, never had an issue. A gotcha plug draws a reaction strike, I dont think they are paying much attention to the leader a foot or two away.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
That's what I tie also. Any type knot will create a disturbance under water, a water trail if you will. It is seen by fish and at times the Spanish will hit that spot. I've had hits and wind up and no leader at all, bite off at the knot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alberto Knot has been proven to be the strongest leader knot you can have. I use it with braid/mono all the time. Braid/fluoro will work just fine as well. I'm telling you... trust me... strongest leader knot there is. Here is the video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

Also, here is a video of the knot winning the knot wars challenge. In this application it's called the modified albright knot. It's the same knot... just some people call it different names. Hope these help you get better knot skills. I am anal about knots and line so I wouldn't tell you wrong. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_2xautA1U

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Some of his videos are funny. He's just being a ____ in that one...

Gist of the video: I can tie a knot, some people can't, wow! Maybe make an instructional video or else just keep it funny because that video was stupid.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Some of his videos are funny. He's just being a ____ in that one...

Gist of the video: I can tie a knot, some people can't, wow! Maybe make an instructional video or else just keep it funny because that video was stupid.
He's got a point though, if you don't know your knots then practice them. Over and over and over. Tie one then test it, cut it and redo until you can do it with your eyes closed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It shouldn't hurt, only thing I would be worried about is getting bit off there from the slight bubble trail it could make. I like to use a long leader so I learned to tie a small knot for the braid to mono connection. When the bite is hot it is quicker to cut a few inches or a foot off and retie than to have to make up a new leader.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It shouldn't hurt, only thing I would be worried about is getting bit off there from the slight bubble trail it could make. I like to use a long leader so I learned to tie a small knot for the braid to mono connection. When the bite is hot it is quicker to cut a few inches or a foot off and retie than to have to make up a new leader.
What do you consider a long leader? I only bass fish... looks like you do a lot of salt water. But my leaders are never more than 24 inches.

I use braid to mono/fluoro leaders for my wacky rigs and sometimes my soft jerkbaits(flukes) and texas rigged worms. However, I am seriously contemplating going straight fluoro for almost everything now. All the pro's use now is straight flouro for 90% of their applications.

The only time I can think braid is a MUST is when frogging.

Back to the leader discussion... Knot's are so important so I really suggest practicing them on a daily basis while your watching TV or something. I am scared to death of hooking into a 5lber and having a knot fail due to not clinching the knot right or overlapped something and it cuts itself. I am meticulous about my knots and line. So going straight fluorocarbon reduces the chances of knot failure as there will only be one knot compared to 2.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
"All the pros use now is straight flouro for 90% of their applications"

No offense, but that sounds like a statement from a sucker. If a company gave me tons of their brand flouro sure id use it all the time too. Don't let those pros get into your head too deep.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"All the pros use now is straight flouro for 90% of their applications"

No offense, but that sounds like a statement from a sucker. If a company gave me tons of their brand flouro sure id use it all the time too. Don't let those pros get into your head too deep.
I agree. Overall the flurocarbon is a massive scam. It does two things better than mono/co-polymer, it sinks and it is less visible (not invisible as they would have you belive). There are many things it does worse. There is an persistent myth that it doesn't stretch (it does).

For all the "advantages" you get to pay 2x as much as good mono. But wait, since there are lots of complaints about the first generations of fluro now they have new better fluro that costs 2X as much as the original. They have people paying $40 for a 200 yd spool of line.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not a fluro hater. It is a definite advantage for certain situations but don't fall for all the hype.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My leaders are usually 4 ft to 6 foot long. I used shorter ones but as I became comfortable tieing smaller and slimmer leader knots my leader has gotten longer. I could tie on a longer leader but keeping it between 4 and 6 feet I can look at the knot and double check it before each cast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a bit of a noob, just on the OBX a couple of times a year, but it's one of the best places on Earth . . . was a total knot know-nothing until I learned the Albright a couple of years ago from http://www.fishing-nc.com/fishing-knots.php and haven't lost a rig since then. But I'm trying a few different things this year, kastmasters and gotchas and such and I was going to use swivels 'cause I hear it's much easier to switch them out quickly, but it sounds like maybe I should work on a few different knots instead? Anyone have a good link to a tutorial for the Alberto? Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts