NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody run into these things yet? They are made by a local Carolinian on the coast. A buddy met the guy who makes 'em and brought a few home. Interesting plug. The reviews from my buddy was great. They caught fish all day. Evident by the teeth marks all over them. No pics yet but I will try to get some. We may have some shipped here and put 'em to the freshwater test.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Yup - just walk any pier on the NC coast and you will see lots of Seastriker Gotcha plugs. It is probably the #1 plug used areound these parts for targeting small/med blue fish when casting from piers and bridges.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Now I guess it's time to really date myself. The first lure of this type was the porter Seahawk and was a real heavy weight at close to a 2 ounces. The next was made by Hildenbrant and was called jerk jigger. Then a guy in Newport started playing around with the tubes off old rejected U.S. Government ball point pens. Using the head style of the jerk jigger he designed the head by pushing the head of the jerk jigger in a sand mold. Dick Henry of then Henry's Tackle liked the lure so much he bought all that the guy could make eventual bought him out completely and the rest is history.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
original "Stump Jumper"

Speaking of old lures*****I STUMBLED ACROSS THIS ON EBAY AND THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE !!!!:D

It is called a Stump Jumper because it has two metal lips. It has tack and washer eyes and measures 3-1/2 inches long. It was made by the Albert Winnie co. of Traverse city Mi. about 1914. What a neat plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carried my step-son and my nephew out a couple of weeks ago and used gotcha plugs. We had no luck at all till the tide started to go out at HRBT.Once the water got to rolling out pretty good, I bet we caught over 60 stripers in about 3 hours. Never moved, just stayed anchored...Ofcourse thet were all small, but heck it was fun...

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Gottcha plugs in red/white, red/charteuse are main stay colors off of most any pier...other colors that at
times can come thru and add some on the deck are.....blue/white, yellow/white and pink..thats right pink...:)
and red/gold...

Lots of colors out there and they all seem to score like yesterday..it didnt matter what color the blues
pounded all over em..:) what a problem to have...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Last year gotcha plugs in "electric chicken" were the hot ticket around here.
They get a tray all to themselves in my tackle bag. I must have a couple dozen in different weights and colors. The blues love them and they work for spanish as well.

Reactions: Thinman

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Sea Striker, Got-Cha Lure is the go to lure for many people targeting Spanish, Bluefish, Schoolie Kingfish and even Cudas.

The hotest selling color for us is Red Head with the Chartreuse body.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Guess I had better pick up a few new ones. Just noticed that the hooks are all rusted on mine. Might need a couple at the coast this weekend.

Don't think that I have ever heard of Pompano on a Gotcha

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i love fishing with a gotcha when the blues and spanish are biting, but sometimes it's a workout for my arms and wrists. is there a good alternative lure? i've tried diamond jigs, stingsilvers, maria jigs, etc. -- and they do work well sometimes. but other times not -- it seems to me that the "jerk" retrieve of a gotcha produces an erratic pattern that blues and spanish often find irresistible. but does anyone have a good alternative that is as effective as a gotcha for my aching wrists?!

thanks -- joel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.