NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you all had as good of a Memorial Day Weekend as I had!! I tend to fly fish the retention pond in front of my house quite often. I've managed to pull hundreds of bluegill, shiners and warmouth out of the pond but until yesterday I had not gotten any bass. Someone told me that there were bass in the pond which probably only averages about 3 feet deep but I was unsure since I had never met someone who had caught one. Well on Monday I was able to prove that Largemouth Lurked in this small urban pond and not just little bitty ones either! I used a black 8" finesse worm to catch this prize on my son's Zebco 202. :D I didn't have a way to measure at the time but I worked out that this guy was at least 25" long and at least 8" from back to belly. Anyone have any idea how much this fella weighed?

Thanks!

Pgene

Attachments

·
Registered
7,911 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
5lbs 3oz??? That's either jealousy or an insult! Lol. Pics can mislead. But even if this pic embellished the size, it's at least 6.5 lbs without a doubt.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't think your eyes are bad, I think you reacted the same way I did, "how could a fish that big possibly come from a little storm retention pond?". It's pretty insane, especially since that's the first and only bass he's caught out of it. Maybe somebody put her in there from another lake.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I hope you all had as good of a Memorial Day Weekend as I had!! I tend to fly fish the retention pond in front of my house quite often. I've managed to pull hundreds of bluegill, shiners and warmouth out of the pond but until yesterday I had not gotten any bass. Someone told me that there were bass in the pond which probably only averages about 3 feet deep but I was unsure since I had never met someone who had caught one. Well on Monday I was able to prove that Largemouth Lurked in this small urban pond and not just little bitty ones either! I used a black 8" finesse worm to catch this prize on my son's Zebco 202. :D I didn't have a way to measure at the time but I worked out that this guy was at least 25" long and at least 8" from back to belly. Anyone have any idea how much this fella weighed?

Thanks!

Pgene
7-8.5lbs id guess; nice fish man; and on a zebco too? i caught my best bass a while back using a zebco 33; lol

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I don't think your eyes are bad, I think you reacted the same way I did, "how could a fish that big possibly come from a little storm retention pond?". It's pretty insane, especially since that's the first and only bass he's caught out of it. Maybe somebody put her in there from another lake.
I dunno, in Denton, where Bombay road runs into New Hope road, there is a pond no more than fifty feet across. I have seen bass in there cruising over six pounds, easy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I definitely threw this puppy back to catch another day. Don't let my size deceive you either, I am a little over 300 lbs so usually I make decent sized fish look tiny! I was trying to figure out what this guy weighs with the software JeffonNC reccomended and using 27" long by 16" girth I get 9.03 Lbs. This is probably twice the size of any of my previous largemouth. Also, now that I know that this pond will support bass, I will transfer a few more into it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to mention that I went back the next night with the same black finesse worm (no weight) at about 11PM. I've heard that bass fishing is pretty productive at night and it only took me 2 casts to get another big one on the line. Unfortunately he broke off after about 10 seconds, I think I was just too excited and tried to muscle him in. Oh well, at least I can try again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts