NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Lowrance Ifinder H2O. I would like to be able to look up fishing locations on Charts that I can keep and view on my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with the Lowrance or Garmin GPS that include nautical charts? How detailed are the charts?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I've run Garmin's in the past and have a Garmin for a back up (GPSV), the bluechart on the Garmin stuff is pretty good.

I now run Navionics charts, which I prefer (little easier to differeniate from some of the Bluechart stuff). I believe the Lowrance stuff also uses the Navionics charts as well. The Garmin chart stuff is easy to load/download/view etc.. on the computer and is easy to download from Computer to GPS and vice versa. Not sure how computer friendly the Navionics stuff is (hopefully someone will chime in).

Either one will work for you.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I believe it is. I've used both and prefer the Navionics. Either or will get the job done though and very well.

If you can swing color (v.s. grey scale), color is better in my opinion as well. Clears up alot of things black and white could confuse you on... but color isnt a necessity.

Dont forget too, a good paper chart is always something to have when all else fails. I keep updated ones around for backups.

Best of luck on the shoppin! ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have the B&W I-Finder H2O and like it. I believe that the Navionics charts (offshore and Hotmaps) cannot be run on a computer. If you get the Lowrance CD, you can use it on the computer and download custom or premade maps and some charts onto a chip for the I-Finder (or most other Lowrance and Eagle GPSs).

The Lowrance charts are not as detailed as the Navionics Hotmaps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.