NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a easy to use GPS/Fish finder...Any advice would be appreciated. Budget range is between $600 to $800. I only fish inshore and the GPS is important for me. THANKS

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Plenty of good options in that price range. Garmin or Lowrance will probably be the most popular choices and for good reason. That being said, I have a ray marine dragonly that I like a lot.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You're wise to ask on this forum before buying. Some of us have had issues with Lowrance Gen2's having to be rebooted due to latch-up condition, tech support calls it. (I don’t know about Gen3’s.) My newest fish finder is a Humminbird Helix5 mounted on
its own 7 amp-hour gel-cell battery so I can move it near me on the pontoon boat. It normally sits between the helm and the rail. Here’s a couple of pics. (The cable in view goes to the transducer.) The screen shot shows fish being detected on both sides of the screen using side imaging sonar.

Gas Audio equipment Snapshot Machine Service
Output device Gadget Font Communication Device Display device

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have an HDS 5 Gen1 and an HDS 8 Gen2 and have never had any issues with them. Almost all of the FF/GPS units out there, Garmin, Lowrance, Simrad, Hummingbird will serve you well. Find the features and price range you want to be in and pick one, another thing to consider is whether you have any preference in map upgrades.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a Helix 5 SI on my deck and and old Huminbird 587 on the console. The Helix is primarily an imaging tool, so the GPS is a backup and I don't have navionics on it. The 587 is primarily for navigation so it has a Navionics chip in it and I keep my waypoints on it as well. I also feel that the 587 screen aspect ration is a little better for navigation. If I were to replace it, I might choose a slightly larger screen though. Either unit would suit your needs, and I highly recommend getting the navionics to go with it, stock maps are horrid. Most Huminbird or Lowrance stuff would work for you in fact. I recommend visiting you local store and playing with a few while admiring their screens.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use a Humminbird Helix 5 with GPS, down imaging, and sonar. It comes in around $350 and has worked pretty good. Dont know if you can get side imaging in that price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.