NC Angler Forums banner

GPSMAP 178C

6K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Topsail Angler 
#1 ·
The GPSMAP 178C features a built-in worldwide marine basemap and accepts BlueChart® offshore marine cartography, featuring detailed depth contours, inter-tidal zones, wrecks, navaids, and many other points of interest. For small-water anglers, the 178C is compatible with MapSource Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots, featuring fishing areas, boat ramps, marinas, and hazards for hundreds of popular U.S. and Canadian lakes. You can use compatible preprogrammed data cards, which insert easily into the slot on the front of the plotter.

The 178C comes with a built-in sounder with Garmin’s exclusive See-Thru® fish targeting technology. The sounder features adjustable range, gain, zoom and bottom lock. It also has new digital display technology that offers an easy-to-read, semi-transparent digital readout so you can see sonar images "behind" the data.

Physical & Performance:
Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 6.3" x 4.9" x 2.8" (16.0 x 12.5 x 7.1 cm)
Display size, WxH: 3.2" x 3.2" (8.1 x 8.1 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 320 x 320 pixels
Display type: 256-color CSTN
Weight: 1.2 lb (553 g)
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
RoHS version available: no
Maps & Memory:
Basemap: yes
Preloaded maps: no
Ability to add maps: yes
Accepts data cards: Garmin data cards
Waypoints: 3,000
Routes: 50
Features:
CANet™ compatible: no
Supports AIS (tracks target ships' position): no
Supports DSC (displays position data from DSC capable VHF radio): yes
Audible alarms: yes
Tide tables: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
3D map view: no
Dual-frequency sonar capable: yes
Dual-beam sonar capable : no
Split-screen zoom: yes
Split-screen sonar/gps: yes
Ultrascroll™ (displays fish targets at higher boat speeds): no
See-thru® technology (exposes fish hidden in cover): yes
Fish Symbol ID (helps identify fish targets): yes
AutoGain Technology (minimizes clutter, maximizes targets): no
Whiteline (indicates hard or soft bottom): yes
Adjustable depth line (measures depth of underwater objects): yes
A-scope (real time display of fish passing through transducer beam): no
Bottom lock (shows return from the bottom up): yes
Water temperature log and graph: yes
Water temperature sensor included: no

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a great entry level sounder. The screen is small but I was interested in saving "real-estate" on my 19' Center Console boat. It's fairly easy to use but feature rich. I bought the blue charts map and card for my area and probably wouldn't do it again as they aren't accurate enough for navigation in the sound and channels and they don't have much information for the ocean. I do like the PC software program (mapsource) that came with the bluechart (can be purchased seperately too) - it makes managment of way points a breeze - I load them up on my PC then just download them to the card and plug them into the GPS unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.