NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandfather just sent me his saltwater rod and reel.

The reel is a Shakespeare Sea Wonder model 2080. The rod is a 9'Shakespeare Wonder Rod. I haven't looked up the rod yet, but the reel was only made in 1959 and 1960. I'll need to give the reel a tune-up, and need to replace some guides on rod, but it looks like it ought to do pretty nicely in the Hatteras surf.

Graddaddy is my wife's grandfather -- he's a retired cattle vet in Decatur TX (north of Dallas). He and I got to talking about fishing the other day, and he decided that he probably wasn't likely to travel all the way down to the gulf for much more saltwater fishing, so he decided to ship his saltwater gear eastward. The best part, though, is that if I can manage to get myself (and preferably my family) to his part of the country, he'll clear his calendar to make time to show me some of the texas bass lakes. I'm really gonna have to try to make that happen sometime this year.

Lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Lefty, some friendly advice, make time and take the whole family. I think you will be glad you did. We don't have our grandparents around forever and I truly believe you will find it to be good to reunite some of the family for a while.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got the rod and reel back. I took them to a local guy to be cleaned, and to have the rod eyes removed and re-wound. I'm thrilled with the result, check out the album I uploaded:
http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=521

I'll also add a review of this guy's work to the Reviews category -- if you're in the greater Triangle area, you might want to consider him!
Lefty

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The rod looks great. I took one of my rods to get fixed up at Carolina Sportsman on Strickland Road in Raleigh. Kinda pricy but they did a great job on the rod and I'm very satisfied. However that guy looks liek he did a phenomenal job. :D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lefty---Looks like you have a real treasure there.This may be the beginning of a big collection.

Later, Forrest

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.