NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions for rigs/lures to use in areas with floating and silt bedded grass. Seems everywhere I want to fish this year is completely overtaken with both. The floating is a complete disaster for all I have tried, with a frog bait coming closest to fish able. The submerged grass appears very fish able at first glance, but the slightest tug will uproot the plants and back comes the grass with the line/lure. Some of the submerged grass reaches within an inch or two of the surface, but much of it is 2-5ft topped out. Any ideas? I may try to catch some gar soon if I don't unlock the grass lol, there are millions patrolling the edges.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Punch rig it kinda looks like a rubber skirted jig hook it up weed less with just about any rubber ya want. Also heavy jigs work as well and as you mentioned frogs work I would be fishing with some heavy duty line though like 50lb test. Good luck let us know how you do!!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is this stuff isn't matted and fouls a bait on the slightest touch. Throwing a jig just gets you back a muddy clump of grass.
ill try to be more specific on grass. The floating is the long thin angular type that goes wherever the wind blows it. The submerged is the green tall stalk with what appears to be whirled leaf pattern. It seems like it would be conducive to dropping plastic between stalks as there is some distance there, but if you touch them they also come back with a fouled bait.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I deal with this pretty regularly at a few ponds near my house. I usually try to work the edges and if I absolutely have to get in the grass for the fish I'll work a fluke or a swimming fluke weightless on top and try to drop it in any pockets, otherwise keeping it up the rest of the time. It's pretty tough and I haven't really found anything that works well, so let me know if you figure something out.

OR I just thought of this, if you fly fish I see people have some success doing that with what I am assuming is a floating fly. I don't fly fish though so I can't really speak on anything else for that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All I got to say is a DS (drop shot) rig. Throw it in to the pockets and work it slowly. Even if the grass is heavy around your line, typically you will get a bite before you run it through the rest of the weeds. Put about 1ft between your weight and hook ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Texas rig worm or lizard. Keep the hook inside body and take a tooth pick and break it off in sinker to keep it on nose of plastic. When they pick it up you'll have to rip it to set hook but it works. I used to fish what your talking about and that was all I found to work. Hit pockets and work it slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have already tried most of the mentioned. The floater works the best so far, but it haven't gotten them to hit it much yet. I might change to profile a bit and play with colors to see if they like it better. There are baitfish everywhere anyhow. Buzzbait and t rig definitely won't work. I like the drop shot idea. May try it also. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also try complete weightless. Wacky rig a Senko or just normal hook it with a offset shank hook in a 2/0 or 3/0. I fish a pond with tons of grass and algae bloom. It's matted the whole pond! Lots of it's underwater and can't be seen. What I have found works though is the DS and weightless Senkos CAM01227.jpg CAM01173.jpg CAM01224.jpg CAM01228.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts