NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guys from the Carolina Fishing Club hit up University Lake Saturday morning for some fun. It started out cool in the morning, around 45 degrees at 7 am when we pulled up, but the day quickly turned into a beautiful one after the sunrise a little later. The last two times I've fished this body of water I have been totally skunked, despite the fact that there are some nice bass and bowfin in the lake. I left the dock that morning with my partner hoping to get over that streak of bad luck and boy did we make it happen. We had our 3 fish limit by 9:30 am with two nice fish and a dink. Two were caught on a square bill crankbait and the other on a white spinnerbait. Surprisingly enough, only one of those three fish from the morning was caught near any kind of visible structure. The other two we snagged seemingly in plain water along the banks. Action slowed down as we moved into the late morning and early afternoon, until my partner tossed a blue and black ribbontail worm to a laydown in a cove on the southern side of the lake. The worm fell for a second or two and boom, huge hit. The bass gave a great fight, and the whole time all I could think was "we are not losing this fish." He got it close to the boat and I pulled it in to see the fattest bass I've ever seen in person. It weighed in at 5.2 lbs. That was around 12 pm, and we fished another hour with no luck. We ended the day weighing in with a limit of 3 fish for a total of 10.2 lbs. Great day on the water.

One little side note, all of the three fish I caught that day were on a custom squarebill crankbait. This is the first custom bait I've ever bought, but after hearing about what the company did, I figured I'd give it a try. KDS baits uses the bodies of LuckyCraft lures, paints them themselves and adds their own hooks, and sells them for $4.00 and some change. If that's not a heck of a deal, I don't know what is. That bait was magic on Saturday. I was really pleased with my purchase and will definitely be ordering from them again. I doubt I'll get into custom baits much because they're typically so expensive, but for the price and performance of that lure, I can't complain at all. If you wanted to check them out, the website is www.fishkds.com. I'm not affiliated in any way with them, but wanted to let youall know about how well it performed for me this weekend.

Now, pictures of course.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Nice catch! That's interesting about the custom bait, thanks for sharing. Looks like a venerable old fish based on the eyes, I'd like to think she swam free, but that's a nice haul one way or the other!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We released all the fish after weighing them in, no worries there. Catch & release is a big thing for me. @bassindentist, it was the Revolution Crank in the Sexy Gizzard Shad color. I got a topwater popper in the same color but haven't had a chance to try it out quite yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.