NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This day had to be one of the funnest bass fishing days ever. The first one, about a 1 pounder, bit on my very old crawfish crankbait. The second bite hooked up just minutes later on the same crankbait. I kept steady pressure on while it swam toward me and I couldn't tell how big it was until it got airborne in the middle of the channel and gave me a big 'ol headshake. I got excited thinking this had to be at least a 4 pounder. One bull run later and I play it back to within about a foot from the bank and see that the back hook on my crankbait has ripped out of the lure and is firmly stuck in the corner of its mouth. I think the first headshake ripped the hook from the lure. So with only the front hook now clinging to the outside of the lower jaw, it gives me two more headshakes and then, in what felt like slow motion, it rolls 180 degrees and the hook pops free and it swims away calmly. If only I had my landing net! It reminded me of another day at crabtree when I lost another big bass. I had just caught a bunch of egg-filled slab crappie and was still throwing the little feather jig with a plastic trailer I had caught them with. It was close to dark as I got another "thunk" bite that felt like another nice crappie. Before I can count to five, the fish swims to the middle of the channel, gets what looked to me like all 5 pounds airborne, gives me a nice big headshake, and throws my jig like it was insulted I tried to hook it with that. My heart dropped and my knees buckled as I dropped down and leaned back on the rocks thinking of how great it would have been to land a big bass after such a great day of crappie fishing. Anyways, so after I retire the crawfish crankbait that will soon be replaced, the sun gets its way and we decide to return later to try the evening bite. Starting in a different area, I pull in a 1.5-2 pounder on my first cast with my weightless junebug zoom worm. I'm all smiles. 15 biteless minutes later, we move back to where I lost the 4 pounder that morning. We catch some bait and I throw out a fish head on a large circle hook with my baitcaster hoping for a big catfish. I'm throwing the junebug worm when I see the baitcaster get hit hard. Thinking it's a nice catfish I put some heavy pressure on this fish as it swims toward me and then, as it turns across the channel and comes up I am excited to see it's a big bass. A couple of headshakes and some playing back and forth I'm able to steer it back up to the surface and within arms reach. That's when I see it and can't believe my luck; this bass still has my treble hook stuck in the corner of its mouth from that morning. Bringing out the scale it weighed in at 4.25 lbs and had a crazy cool looking eye that was scale colored all over. I was so happy at this point, having caught the big bass i'd lost earlier along with the other two bass. But it got better. I kept fishing the junebug worm and a few minutes later I hook up again with a nice fish. It comes up to headshake and I can't believe it's bigger than the 4.25 pounder, it looked to be at least 5. A couple of bull runs and headshakes later and the scale reads 5.5lbs. What a nice fish, and my day has truly been made. Just before dark I hook up once more and land a 2.25 pounder just to top off the day. I am all smiles after a day of 5 bass landed totaling around 14.5 lbs!

·
Red X Angler
3,773 Posts
Nice picutres! May want to consider an occasional paragraph break, since the wall of text is a bit hard to read, but sounds like a fun trip! Always interesting when you get one that is blind in an eye. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.