NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right folks we had our own Great White for awhile there. She's a 14ft 2300lb bundle of fun. Looks like she came into the sound thru Oregon inlet and went as far west as the Pamlico river. After her short stay she headed out Hatteras inlet. Makes ya think about what tackle to keep onboard. Here is the sight where you can see Katherine's track.
http://www.ocearch.org/profile/katharine/

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm glad it was a rainy winter if we had had a drought the river would have been salty enough she might have kept coming!! Tarpon roll in Chocowinity bay wouldn't be surprised to see a shark sometimes!! Bull shark maybe..

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Great whites only inhabit cold water... um.... let's see...

Gulf of Mexico in June, coast of NC in January. I think a 14ft Great White goes wherever she darn well pleases!

Reactions: Fish Dreamer

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The odds are so tiny of a bad encounter that they shouldn't come into play. Get the yak. There are a few cars I often see on my commute that are likely a greater threat to me than that shark. Maybe I should see if can get them cute names and have them tracked...

·
Registered
395 Posts
From what I've heard, those bull sharks are no joke especially during the old drum season. I know of at least one guide that has changed the way he releases fish as direct result of several encounters with bulls. No more back and forth beside the boat; now it's a torpedo shot back into the water.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Bulls have been known to go well into fresh water as well. One was found in the Tennessee river and they have been found further than that away from the ocean. Any river that with ocean access. And they are aggressive.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Found this pic surfing the web some time back. Can't remember the exact place and circumstances and not a quality pic, but it was definitely the work of a large shark in the Pamlico during an old drum trip. Yowzer!!!! View attachment 69202

My guess is a nice sized bull shark. Gotta love when they send half a king mackerel back to the boat. Actually would prefer they didn't do that, but nature calls!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've reeled in numerous fish heads over the years. Most of the time for me it's the sizable fish that the sharks get. More times than not the ones that put up a valiant fight. Same way on a boat alot of times. Your catch is in the feed zone too long.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.