NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the site a while back just slipped my mind for a while.It`s great to see some N.C. info.
I am 38 and have pretty much fished all my life. Really started fishing "hard" about 15 yrs ago. Then found out what I had been missing all along. A KAYAK. Now I own four of them. Wife told me after 3 if I got another I had to move out but I got it anyway and she let me stay. Since I got my 1st yak I`ve been on the river like a fat kid on a cupcake! Avg. easily over 100 outs a year, all year for the past 10.(still haven`t fallen in.)Mainly after LMB but will fish for just about anything occasionally. I`m 99% catch &release and rarely use bait. I have 2 boys (10 & 4) being raised in the kayak way. Both had been in a yak with me before turning 2 yrs old.
I am lucky to have a small group of friends who love kayaking as much as I do and we answer to the Hardcore Kayak Fishing Team. We are not sponsored,yet. Let`s face it all yakkers are misfits to some degree and we are the misfits of the misfits. All appearances aside, we are serious, experienced, safe, and will outfish most anybody, most of the time. Sublety is not a club trait. Look forward to making new fishin buds. Keep it HARDCORE.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I was about to say Howdy and invite you to the Cape Fear Kayaks tourney series, and Druminator's Meet'n'Greet in June... but if you guys would show up and take all the fish, I'm not sure about that.... :eek:

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would have to be beginners luck. Pretty weak in the salt. Only had the yak at the beach once (last year) in Murrells inlet. In the surf once in my 10 ft dagger. (sik) Thought I was gonna sink it or kill myself. Just had to do it though. Think the heinekens had something to do with that. Did catch a shovel nose that prob. went close to 5 ft and that was a blast! Have a feeling the yak will be down there again this year.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything around Charlotte, (norman,mt. island,wylie,) we got it covered. Right now best action, the hotholes. (duh) Riverbend on mt. island & Allen plant on wylie. Allen prob. little better. Good size LMB and white perchie. Bait fishers catching some cats. Gotta admit though I`m tired of winter. Spent more time on the bank with the fire than I did casting sunday.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome aboard! We a pretty active and growing Kayak community on here. You may want to identify your self as a kayaker by joining our NC Kayak Angler group. You can do that by going into your user profile (click user CP on the menu bar) and then clicking on the group membership item on the left side, then check the box for Kayak Angler and save.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx Topsail & everybody else for replies.Think I got it now. Beautiful thing to contact people in N.C. I really just don`t give a crap what`s biting in CA. Look forward to chatting with everyone. One of the best things about being a fisherman is recognizing the "evolution" of how you fish. If you`re not telling tales and rubbin elbows with other anglers you`re in the slow lane.Very interesting to me , the differences in techniques, and confidences of other fisherman. An open mind is the key to learning. I`ll sneak in a few pics when I have time to check the details.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Wow, that's some armada you got backin' you up over there!

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lefty, if you are refering to the yaks behind me in that pic. They are not backing me up. That is just a group of people on a" tour" from the nat. whitewater center. The tour is maybe 2 miles and they go halfway then backtrack past their put in in case anybody wants to pack it in. By pure luck it was an awesome moment to represent yak fishing. Here they come out of the creek and somebody says "hey that guys fishing!" And I set the hook on that bass. Bunch of them took pics and probably mistakenly think that is par for the course. Good advertisement for the sport though. Of course it was released.The center has a put in but it is a helluva carry. Building a cart is on my to do list.It`s a lot more fun to put in up the river, fish,get out at the center,stroll up to the bar and get a bucket full of ice and cold micro-brews.I`m waiting for them to sell off last years fleet of tour boats. the one thing missing from my personal armada is a SOT. Please don`t think the club is a big organization. We`re one percenters. We are an elite and dedicated bunch. I would guess the people on here are quite qualified but most of the "fair weather,I need a kayak cause I saw it on the SUV commercial" types would never make it with us.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yup, sounds like a good advertisement. I've had tours from Cape Fear Kayaks paddle past as we fished Fort Fisher... never had the good timing to land a lunker in front of 'em, though. (My luck, there'd be a fish-hugger in the bunch.)

I built a cart for my SOT from PVC pipe, pool noodles, and a pair of lawnmower wheels I picked up from Walmart. The wheels could be better, but I'd have to hunt to find 'em for $5 each. It breaks down and stores inside the front hatch. I can point you to pics if you want.

Reactions: Stew-Rat

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Any man with a Misfits sticker on his kayak is a "fiend" to me! Welome aboard!
Now we just have to get you a "Dropkick Murphys" and you've arrived!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love them too!
Then I bet Type O Negative works too.:eek:.LOL ( I love that pretty much no one else on here has a clue what were talking about right now...):rolleyes:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like GWAR, had not heard of Iced Earth but just grabbed some and I like it! I'm an old metalhead/goth. Alice Cooper to Iron maiden-Motorhead to Pantera-Metallica to Cannibal Corpse-Sevendust and beyond!..LOL ( ok enuff hijacking!!.. sorry guys!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.