NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to everyone from golf country - golf courses have great ponds to fish. Just moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and trying to find some good fishing holes. Just a couple of weeks back, I jumped in and bought a kayak - Hobie Outfitter; had to get one I could take my son fishing on the pond next to our house. I have spent much time rigging (i.e., anchor trolley, extra rod holder, fish finder, etc) and looking forward to spending more time on the water.
I spend most of my fishing time on fresh water, but love salt water. I have not spent much time fishing inshore at the coast but want to learn. I would love to hear recommendation on places to fish on the coast - Wilmington is just over 2 hours away. I am always looking for people to go fishing.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party! You have plenty of good info waiting for you here! The "search" functon will let you track down alot of past topics as well!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome aboard fishgent. You are up there in the sand where my brother lives. You are correct about the local ponds in Moore County, they seem to stock them well.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Welcome on!

Yes, golf communities do have some good fish in the ponds (Carolina Trace crappie is one of them), but usually the communities frown on folks fishin the ponds.. not to mention the danger of the wayward golf ball!! One of the funniest things I ever saw is when my buddy got hit by one square in the chest... wasnt funny,, but it was.... drop'd him to his knees and we never heard it coming.. THWACK and down he went, left a bruise the size of a whoopie cushion... anyway....

The only thing I'd be concerned about is keepin fish to eat out of a golf course pond. I worked greens maintenance at Misty Creek Country Club in Sarasota Fla for 2 season (cutting fareway's, tee's, rough and general maint. things). We as the maint. crews had permission to fish, but only on the back 9 (away from the homes and only during certain times). We werent allowed to keep any fish, all had to be thrown back. We were told that fertilizer and other course treatments run off into the ponds and that it could pose a heatlh risk if we ate the fish.

Love'd workin there though...one of the most fun jobs I ever had... I dont golf.. so the chance to "free" golf didnt mean that much to me... we went "ball hawkin" (by the way could get you fired). We werent allowed to recover ball's lost in the roughs, ponds, "weeds and sticks", but we did and usually cleaned them up and sold them back to the regulars... ha ha haha ha.... Coolest ball I ever found was a Velveeta Cheese company ball... had some cool graphics on it and a ton of Hogan's, Topflites and others... it was nothin to wade barefoot in a small pond and come out with a duffle bag of balls...

Anywhooo... sorry for the ramblin... Welcome on and jump on in! ;)

I love fishin out of Wrightsville. I'm up the road and to the east of ya a little (BBq/Johnsonville/Pineview). I take 87 south thru Fayettenam down to 74/76 and then into WB. Your right.. it's about 2 hours on a no traffic early morning. Last I went down 87 south of Elizabethtown, they're widening 87 and making a good stretch of it to 4 lane/divided.. so should be a little quicker a drive now.
Best of luck fishin and again, welcome on!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome to the fleet Fishgent!

Lots of kayak anglers out here - not so many that have access to good ponds though:cool:. Lots of trips to the coast. Fort Fisher is probably the most often reported coastal kayak launch, with Beaufort, Topsail and Swansboro right behind. Keep an eye on our forums - we usually try to put out some notice when a group is headed that way (ie. this one for january die-hards: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/106/mlk-weekend-fishing-trip-wilmington-5788-2.html).

More will come as the weather warms.

Hope you'll become a fixture out here!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have been just learning how to do a kayak and not really done any fishing out of it yet. Tossed out a line and trolled is about it. Anyway, keep us up to date and maybe we can catch up sometime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.