NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just joined this forum today. I have lived in and fished Florida for my entire life but I have enjoyed fishing in the mountains of North Carolina a few times. I am heading back in a couple of months and am hoping to be able to get some tips that will help my wife and I catch some fish. It has been a couple of years since I've been to the mountains and I can't tell you how excited I am right now about going back.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Welcome...do you prefer a cowbell or a pot and spoon for gettin' them snipe outta the brush?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank y'all for the greeting, and also for your service to our country. Fish Friend, I have never tried a spoon and cowbell or pot. Down here the preferred method is the burlap sack and flashlight. However, I have found other ways that are more productive.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Welcome Snipe Hunter. Give us a shout when you're coming up. You'll find tons of help on this site!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I always used german short hair and a 16 gauge for mine. Never heard of the other methods till I moved from the Northwest to the South.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fish Friend, now the talk is getting serious. I use a few sixteens also but I shoot snipe with double guns in all gauges. The picture below shows my setter. He is three years old. Because of cottonmouths and gators I only take him on days when the temperature won't get out of the fifties. That means he only gets to go with me a handful of times each season. On the day I took that picture I was carrying a four-ten.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yeah growing up in Idaho and the surrounding states i lived on fishing and bird hunting. Its been a long time since ive done any serious. NC just dosnt have a strong enough population of anything to get to serious about and i refuse to hunt pen raised birds.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We're turning this into a hunting forum in a hurry. I thought y'all had reasonable populations of ruffed grouse, woodcock, and bobwhite in addition to waterfowl.

On a totally unrelated note, I reserved a cabin today for our trip in July. I am very excited about getting back up to North Carolina.

·
Red X Angler
3,772 Posts
There are some good dove shoots to be had. Most of the grouse and quail shoots I know of are through private clubs... the grouse and pheasant are usually released from pens, but the quail are mostly wild.

Anyway, I'm not a mountain fisherman, but if you want to get into some mountain-area fishing, try catching up with Raymond Wells or dbeam, they are good guys who do some kayak fishing up that way. Peruse the mountain fishing reports forum and see if you can catch up with someone who fishes up there a lot.

Welcome to NCAngler!

Reactions: Snipe Hunter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the welcome Badge and Wademaster. We now have our cabin reserved and even though it will be two months before our trip I have already started getting the fishing tackle that I plan to take organized. We will be staying right on the Tuckaseegee River close to Western Carolina University.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts