NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Guess you could look for a fish identification chart... After so many years of catching them, I can immediately tell the difference between a warsaw, scamp, gag, red....

Fish identification chart would be the best bet. I know AK McCallum's in Fayetteville has these type of saltwater charts as well as fresh water fish identification as well.

Lot's of internet FISH ID sites available as well, just google it up.

Here's a starter link for ya:

Fish Identification <--- link

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Dave beat me to it but that Fla DMF site he gave a link to is one of the best out there for fish ID. NC DMF has one too but they don't have all of the different groupers you may encounter in our waters - here's a link FishFinder - NCDMF Fish Identifier

Here's another really good one on line - it's especially useful if you are new to identifying fish because it has a short tutorial/diagram at the beginning.
http://marinefisheries.org/fishinglines/fish_id2.pdf

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I'll put in a plug for a book that we still had a few copies of in the NCangler eStore - Fisherman's Gude: Fishes of the Southeastern United States. Art-quality illustrations with detailed descriptions of hundreds of fresh and saltwater fish.

11 Grouper variants/species listed in the index (don't think they're all natives of SE US, so may not all have pics, but most do):
Black
Calico
Gag
Nassau
Red
Scamp
Snowy
Strawberry
Warsau
Yellowedge
Yellowmouth

Big grouper-ed day for me today:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.