NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL..... just kidding fellows. :rolleyes: No guide here, but my friends I take with me seem to catch all of the big fish.

Good to be back online, I haven't posted in quite a while. Hope everyone is doing well.

Thought I would share some of my fishing experiences this year.

Late June 06 , Atlantic Beach, NC

Went to the reef right off shore and caught a nice flounder right off the bat. About 19 in. Wind picked up so we headed inshore. Fished some creeks close to Coast Gaurd station and caught some more flounder ( between 15 and 19 in). Oh by the way, we trolled from the reef to the inlet with one bite. My buddy grabbed the screaming Penn with planer and Clark spoon. What a smile on his face when the fished surfaced 20 yards out and we saw that wonderful green, blue, and bright yellow glow of the 27in Dolphin. Got back in and fired up the grill. Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm grilled mahi mahi and flounder. What a great way to finish off and good day of fishing. The Dolphin lost a lot color before the pic because someone would not let me open the cooler until it was dead, fearing he would lose control of the fish and let it slip back into the sea.

Edisto Island, SC Oct. 06

Beautiful Thursday morning. Winds and sea were very calm. Caught mullet and shrimp easily by the dock. Headed the 20' Sundance skiff out to the Edisto 40 reef a few miles offshore. The closer we got to the reef the calmer the ocean became. We arrive at the reef about 10:30. Birds flying, Spanish schooling and only 1 other boat in sight. Put out 2 planers with Clark spoons and 2 rods with a lead spoon with a pink back we have nicknamed "Pinkie" ( been my most productive shallow water bait for Spanish). Within 5 mins. the first Spanish was in the boat. All in all, we caught 8 Spanish by 12:00 when they seemed to get lock jaw. So we head back to 2nd bouy from the inlet where we have had some good catches of whiting and speckled trout. Catch a few small whiting and trout on cut mullet. Had a herring I snagged with a spoon while at the reef. Put it on the Penn and it wasn't long I was tangling with a 4 ' shark. Got it to theboat and asked my buddy to take a picture before I cut it free. Well turns out he is not good with a camera. I have a pic of the top of the sharks tale. :mad: He is fishing off the bow, when something hits the cut bait on the end of the of the lightweight spinning reel. Immediately he is screaming for the net. I get the net as the fish keeps pulling twice as much line away as he can retrieve. My 40 year old friend turned into a 12 yo when the 34 in. Red Drum surfaced and he screamed emphatically " GET IT, GET IT, GET IT". I just laughed and ask if he want me to jump in and net it for him. Finally we boated the fish and got a pic before release it unharmed. It did take a hour to explain to him why a fish could be to large to keep.

Next day the seas were rough and fish were not biting. Coming back inshore we saw large mullet jumping. Went over to them to see 15 in mullet jumping out of the water 5'. It didn't take long to find out that Tarpon were having a feeding frenzy. Put the largest baits on and trolled to no avail. But what a way to end a bad day (haha bad day fishing, what a joke) .... watching the Tarpon feed for about 45 mins. Some were jumping completely out of the water.

Spanish Catch ( sorry do not know how to rotate pic)

Red Drum

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
James2222---Quite impressive catches there. Keep the pictures coming and with catches like that , don't worry about picture rotation, we'll just turn our monitors on their sides to look at them. Way to go!

Later, Forrest

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.