NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and 15-20 guys are going to Topsail in a couple weeks for our yearly "Guys Only Fishing Trip". A long weekend of pier fishing. I normally stick to my regular menu of baits. I usually have shrimp, fake blood worms, sometimes squid and I also throw a Gotcha quite a bit. This will be the first year that my twin boys will be going for the whole time. And I just want to make sure they have a good chance to catch fish. They really like catching Spot but they have had off/on luck with those. They would be happy to catch anything we can bring home to eat!!

I've been seeing a lot of Gulp baits, but I don't know much about them. I'm guessing they are scented? Anyone have suggestion on good/bad ones?

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
What are you trying to target? Hard to beat fresh shrimp to get a good pull in the surf.

As far as Gulp go. I haven't fished them a whole lot in the surf but a 4" pearl white with Orange or Chartreuse tail on a ¼ oz jig head has put some fish on the sand for me in the past.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
This time of year, and for easy to handle bait, Fishbites Blood worm alternative is your best bet. The Spot and Mullet are around and it will keep everyone busy enough. Fresh local shrimp FRESHLOCAL being the keywords here, is hard to beat but a lot more rebaiting and with kids that can be a pain. Gulp on a jighead is good for bouncing the bottom in the suds if you want to stay busy and not just be soaking bait. I've never had much luck with squid myself anywhere but offshore..

·
Registered
35 Posts
White 4 inch Gulp swimming mullet work great for flounder off the piers or surf. October is a good time to use this technique, the flounder are usually fairly thick in the surf. Work it slow and keep your line tight as much as possible. Sometimes you will just feel weight when the fish has got it, other times you will feel just 1 tap then set the hook. Unfortunately, you will catch more throwbacks than keepers but that is common in the topsail area. I've caught 20+ flounder in a few hours easily like this but just a few of them are keepers. Work the pier from the surf out to midway at most. If it's pretty calm a 3/8 ounce jig head will be fine. If you are doing this in the surf with your feet in the sand it's best to fish low tide for flounder, easier and they are right at your feet at the berm. Charteuse will work also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This time of year, and for easy to handle bait, Fishbites Blood worm alternative is your best bet. The Spot and Mullet are around and it will keep everyone busy enough. Fresh local shrimp FRESHLOCAL being the keywords here, is hard to beat but a lot more rebaiting and with kids that can be a pain. Gulp on a jighead is good for bouncing the bottom in the suds if you want to stay busy and not just be soaking bait. I've never had much luck with squid myself anywhere but offshore..
Is there a good place to get FRESHLOCAL shrimp at Topsail? I don't like paying pier prices for shrimp. Seems like there was a place on the right after crossing the Surf City Bridge. Is it still there?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If its like everywhere else they are selling shrimp beside the road in 10 different places around the area. No shrimp I ever bought ON a pier was fresh anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The gentleman that suggests Fishbites bloodworm is "spot" on.... buddies of mine at OKI call it fish crack. The Fishbites shrimp strips are wedge shaped and stay on hook great. Spot, Whiting, black drum and reds chew 'em up. I like FRESH shrimp in surf best, but always carry Fishbites. Gulps are great baits. 4 inch mullet minnow in white or light brown for clear water, chartreuse for murky. If bluefish chew up your gulps, save the scraps, put back in the juice and use as cut bait! Gulp 3 inch shrimp on jig heads work great too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.