NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a pack of shrimp Gulp 400x. It cost $5.90 plus tax. After about 20 min. of fishing, either small blues or lizard fish nipped their tails off. I now have some Gulp nubs. I am presently soaking the receipt for this purchase in the juices in the package and plan to use it for bait tomorrow. I know to fish flounder belly up on a hook. Should I fish the receipt with the dollar signs up or down? Any suggestions ?:)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Just put the dollars bills themselves on the hook. Try to get the hook right through the eye of the dead president so they run "true". This saves a lot of time when you get soaked... I mean when soaking bait.....:eek:

Or if you prefer, send me the dollar bills. I'll rig them up for you. ;):p

BTW - Tex's Tackle just got in 4000 bags of Gulp! today. That should hold them through the week-end :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike--- I can tell you have put more thought into this than I have. I was only following my neighbor's advice on bait and location as to where and how he caught a 32 qt. cooler full of fish, trout, spots, flounder, sea mullet, chopper blues and one drum. I should have figured out that he sent me ten miles in wrong direction and theres no telling what he used for bait. I believe that I have been had! Again!:eek:

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
me? think? Did you see smoke coming out my ears or something? :rolleyes::p

hum... you got the right bait..... so I'm having a hard time with this one.... Believing that you didn't know where the fish where........ lol.:D

On a serious note, the tail nips on the Gulp! shrimp usually don't matter, keep fishing them. They don't have any action to speak of anyway - it's all in the scent and rough shape when it comes to the shrimp. Not true for the swim minnows (wiggly tails) or the jerk baits - loose a tail on them and they swim funny and fish won't touch 'em. The Pogy's have paddle tails and they hold up better, esp. on the fast retreive used this time of year.

I only use shrimp and pogy Gulp! while the junk fish are so active.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Lefty has something to do with my hard luck. I think he has probably cast a stick catching jinx upon me in addition my other woes. Look familiar?

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Hey. I recogonize that spot!!!! I never caught any sticks near there though...haven't even seen one caught within a couple of miles of there. You don't reckon Lefty has been shopping in the same tackle shop do you? Heck he might have picked up that same bag and put it back on the shelf.:( you'd better have a talk with the shop owner...if Lefty touches it it should be considered sold!!!:D Sorry Lefty, but we can't have you spreading the Curse. AL

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Fine looking specimen, there, Forrest! A keeper for sure! When they're that long, they put up a good fight. Although kinda like I've heard about flounder, ya gotta have the touch to recognize the strike.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Note to self---Until something starts glupping the Gulp and Lefty's curse of many sticks wears off-- Store a larger cast net on boat to insure food supply.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lefty--- Not much for me-- My neighbor also has a Heebie Jeebie Fish No Catch spell cast upon me. I'm just trying to survive until these curses lighten up.:( :confused:

Congrats on your good luck-- guess I'll have to catch your share of sticks for a while.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
832 Posts
What can i say about those gulp. i recently found out about the pumkinseeds. i would almost swear on them that you would catch atleast something when you go out. i have caught flounder, specks,puppies, and some strippers. i have used many grubs this past summer and they seem to work the best.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some GUMMY WORMS soaking in Gulp juice in effort to save some money. I believe this mixture will be worthy of a huge fishing report when I get around to trying it. ;)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
412 Posts
Saw the title of "Gulp" and had a question for yall. What is the best way to fish different Gulp baits?? Suspend them with a cork, jig them?? I have 4' swimming shad and some shrimp at the moment but will buy some more soon..Just wanted opinions for best way of fishing them in salt water??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
First way I heard described was bounce the bottom with a shrimp on a quarter-oz jighead. Works real good for catching oysters! I did catch a 13" flounder that way once, tho.

Not sure how the four-foot swim shad will do, though. Oh, you mean 4", not 4'. :D
(I'm not trying to rag on ya, man, it's just so late I'm sitting here giggling over the idea of a four-foot-long gulp bait. :eek: Reminds me of that time the guy from California asked about the foot-long hundred-dollar swim baits...)

I'm giving serious mental consideration to leaving the shrimp on a regular hook next time, and dragging them either carolina-rigged or use a dropper line for the weight, to let the bait move in the current a little more.. and see if maybe it doesn't catch as many oysters... Haven't tried it yet, so don't blame me if it's a dumb idea. I've only been fishing for a little more than a year now.

Reactions: JDHD

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've not used the shad versions with much success in this area yet. The shrimp were fantastic during the late spring and summer. They really started to hit them around june.
You have to follow the season for the baits yer using. The mullett and poogies are mostly gone at this point as are the shrimp. I am not saying to not try them, but I am saying I had limited success with them last year until it warmed up.

As for fishing them, I used them on a jig head and bounced them off the bottom. sometimes they wanted it swiming other times worked slowly off the bottom. Trout and reds were eating them up pretty good. If you are going to use a poppin' cork, don't use any wait on it. Just let it go natural.

Just my .02 as we are fishing the same waters.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I was having problem with the tails being bit off by short strikes. So I wired a #10 stinger hook to the jighead eye .and stick the treble near the tip of the shrimp tail. I get more hook ups and I can still replace the bait as needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.