NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yes it's legal. Just remember, dont load until you need it, and be aware of your surroundings to ensure safety not only for yourself but others around you. According to the NCDMF rule book, I dont see any restrictions on it. Reference: http://www.ncfisheries.net/download/NCDMF_rulebook_2007.pdf Page 78 section .0505 SHARK

What is Illegal is having a loaded firearm on/at the NC Wildlife maintained boat ramp(s)... (mostly for folks that duck hunt).. but doesnt matter what time of year or where,, if at a boat ramp, gun must be unloaded. State Parks, it's illegal to have a firearm - National Seashore or any coastal State park.

Reference below: (taken from Wildlife Resource Commission)

Boating access areas are designed, constructed, and maintained by the Wildlife Resource Commission's Engineering Division for public use. Compliance with the following boating access area laws will go a long way toward keeping these areas clean, safe, and for all to enjoy.

It is unlawful to:

Leave any vehicle, trailer, boat or other obstruction where it will impede the use of the ramp by others.
Park any vehicles, trailer or boat anywhere on the area other than the designated parking zone. This does not prohibit legal use of the ramp.
Use the area for swimming, camping, operating concessions or for any use other than the launching and recovery of boats and parking of vehicles and boat trailers, except where facilities for a particular use are provided.
Operate any vessel within 50 yards of the ramp at a speed greater than "No Wake" speed.
Possess loaded firearms on the access area.
Operate a vehicle on any boat access area in a manner so as to endanger life or property.
Deposit any debris or refuse anywhere on the grounds of the area.
Fail to obey any instruction or signs regulating use of the access area.
Conduct any special event, such as fishing tournament weigh-in, without first obtaining a letter of authorization from the Division of Engineering Services by calling (919) 707-0150. This permit must be available for inspection by wildlife enforcement officers during the event. See information about weigh-in permits here.
Park in handicapped space without displaying handicapped plate or sign.

Here's a brown reef that took a sleepin pill and was destined for the grill ;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Thanx Rob. We learned quick to end the fight as soon as possible on larger sharks we plan to keep. Just one shark will feed alot of people and they're excellent on the grill.

I still drag them just to make for certain before bringin them in the boat.. we've had a couple magically come back to life and can get ugly fast, not to mention tear some stuff up on the boat.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
So ya shoot 'em first and then tail-drag 'em?

I seem to recall hearing about folks tail-dragging a fish instead of shooting or clubbing him, but I always wondered about how you get him to hold still long enough to get the loop around the tail good and tight...

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yup, pop a sleepin pill in the head, control them via the line and a gaff or two, laso the tail, cleat it off and take a 2 mile breather while draggin (for extra insurance).

You dont want to bring a live shark in the boat

You can control them fairly easy while they're in the water, but the first thing you need to get ahold of is that tail.. The tail is their "motor".
When handling sharks, dead or alive.. keep all digits away from the mouth. ;)

Small sharks are more skittish but can be handled reasonably.. the larger ones are alot stronger and can "burst" on you at anytime.. best to wrangle one as quick but safe as possible.

when they got that look in their eyes and they start that twistin and turning and head to tail touch... it can turn into chaos quick (note the laso already on that tail and tail out of the water)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dave,

Are sharks alright to eat? Always figured the bigger the fish the more "bad things" are in them (forgot the letters, PCB's or something, mercury, ect) I know my buddy has ate them before in what he called "shark balls" where you would wrap em up and fry them.

Also were you fishing for sharks in that picture? Looks like your using mono/fluro type leader material. Aren't you afraid of a bite off? Why not use single strand or was that an accident?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Rob to answer some of your questions...

YES! shark on the grill is awsome! The best tasting is probably thresher and black tip. Brown reef taste might good too! :) But yes, they're perfect blackend on the grill or cooked up with your favorite bbq sauce.
I like to smoke them over hickory chips or jack daniels wood chips.. yummy! ;)

No, we werent fishing for sharks during that trip.

Yes, using a mono leader, more than likely since we were grouper fishin, it was probably 100-120 lb Penn mono leader.

No not really too worried about a bite off... I've caught alot of sharks using mono.. If we are night fishing and targeting large sharks, then I would switch to a larger (over 200 lbs) 12 ft steel leader with tandem 11/0 size hooks and throw on a fresh slab of barracuda or a whole bonita or jack crevalle for bait. Mullet works pretty good too (whole).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.