NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my plan Saturday was to go to the Pee Dee early and fish for the ROBUST REDHORSE. Fiqured I would have to wade through a lot of Bass, Blue cats, and stripers to get a robust redhorse but it would be fun. Scratch that. Found out I had to go to my sons football meeting at 11 am so I had to hit up some place local. This would be a super secret spot that I will share with no one. Not even Nats Dad or FW.

Met my friend Rodney there and we fished from 230- 800pm. I had to use my Frogg Toggs cause of the rain which ended about 4 pm. Our goal was to catch bait and then catfish, problem was where I can usually catch all the bream here I want to but today they were not biting. Tried every then I had. Spinners, grubs, ul Rapalas, even red worms. Nothing. finally after a couple of hours I grabbed the ole trusty Lews Speed Spool loaded with 50 lb braid and started slinging my favorite spinnerbait. Immediately I hooked into a chunky Largemouth and that may have went 3 lbs. Ended up catching no more Largies but caught 3 bowfin. 3lbs to 9 lbs. only got picture of smaller one as I released the 2 bigger ones while still in the water and caught aprox 20 Spotted Bass ranging from really small to maybe 2 lbs. Lost several big gar and no lunkers caught but it was a fun day on the water.

Wildlife seen was Ducks, herons(watched several catch some nice bait that I couldn't) , eagles, ospreys, 1 deer, 1 raccoon, and lots of 3 - 6 inch eels trying to do the salmon thing and swim up the dam. Some were making it 1/2 way up then falling back down. Note- I have caught eels above this dam so either some make it over in lower water or they crawl around. Here are a few pics.

DSCF2706.jpg
Rodneys first ever Spot
DSCF2711.jpg

A few Spotted Bass...some were very chunky

DSCF2713.jpg DSCF2715.jpg DSCF2722.jpg DSCF2720.jpg DSCF2725.jpg

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Where were you fishing? I hope you brought home a sack full of those eels!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Dude, those are some fine spots. Job well done.

White spinnerbaits are extremely effective on the Y for spots. Really the only lure you need for them.

BTW, the Rocky has been dumping way to much water into the Pee Dee above Blewitt for the dam to hold it back. No rec flows for the past two weekends. Was running over 10k this past Saturday.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are the biggest spots I've seen in that flow. Congrats. I kept a few small spots from Kerr Scott a few years back ... not bad to eat. Surprised you didn't catch any large white fishes.
I wasn't throwing anything they would hit, spook, etc...

***also, forgot to mention that I saw jumping mullet this far up stream********

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Nice catchin Mack. I've seen some nice spots out of there this year. Got this one in June there, pretty sure it's a spot anyway.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
those spots out east sure are brown/green looking
That spot does not look like any spot I ever saw. Not sure what that is---LM/Spot cross? I bet it fought hard. It looks to have some smallie or shoalie blood but that can't be........can it?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Dude, those are some fine spots. Job well done.

White spinnerbaits are extremely effective on the Y for spots. Really the only lure you need for them.

BTW, the Rocky has been dumping way to much water into the Pee Dee above Blewitt for the dam to hold it back. No rec flows for the past two weekends. Was running over 10k this past Saturday.

Noticed that too. I will be ready to roll in a week. Gotta take momma and jr. to the beach for a few day but if the flow gets right I'm game to catch some canoe blues. Keep us posted. I'm so tempted to take the 119 to VA beach just to do it. :D

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice catchin Mack. I've seen some nice spots out of there this year. Got this one in June there, pretty sure it's a spot anyway.
Nice pig TS.......beats my biggest one down there by an inch or 2.....wish it was like 25 years ago when spots were outnumbered by Largemouths but they sure do fight pretty good.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
That spot does not look like any spot I ever saw. Not sure what that is---LM/Spot cross? I bet it fought hard. It looks to have some smallie or shoalie blood but that can't be........can it?
I think it was 100% spot to be honest. It had a toothpatch and to me looks just like the smaller spots with just the lateral line markings dimmer. The white bellies are real defined on the spots down there just like this one also. I think once they get that incredibly massive & old, their markings just fade. That's just opinion though based on what I've seen in other fish species.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it was 100% spot to be honest. It had a toothpatch and to me looks just like the smaller spots with just the lateral line markings dimmer. The white bellies are real defined on the spots down there just like this one also. I think once they get that incredibly massive & old, their markings just fade. That's just opinion though based on what I've seen in other fish species.
looks to me like a 100 percent spot as well.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I've seen a lot of mullet up there over the years. Use to see a lot more 10 years ago than you do now......I won't say why.....may give your top secret spot waway.
Given the picture with the well known local landmark in the background, I think his "secret" comment was a joke.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts