NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you fellow lure makers and fly fixers need to be aware that costume wigs will go on sale week after Halloween usually 75% off. This is one of my main sources of fly material and it's cheap. CVS has a good variety, hot pink, chartreuse, blue, white,etc. Not good for the fly shops but good on my wallet.

Tie One On, Forrest

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I really like the kinky stuff!:D If you miss the sales sometimes the wigs show up at the larger flea markets. the kinky blond wigs work great for flies or jigs as you can color them with a permanent marker. Thanks to Fojoloy's advise earlier this year I got a 2' long blond wig of that variety for less than a dollar at the local flea market. It don't get much cheaper than that. Good fly tying hooks are hard to find there but when I find them they are also cheap. You can also find jig heads cheap this time of year in the big discount stores. They are in the habit of putting a lot of fishing equipment on sale to make room for Christmas items. Patience and planning can really take the bite out of tackle prices. I've tied up a pretty good assortment of jigs and a few flies also out of nothing but discounted supplies from these sources. I also tie jigs using 10-12 lb test fishing line in various colors. The monofilament tails are the closest match for Anchovies/silversides/rainminnows that I know of. Not only do they look like the real thing but they will hold up to bonito and spanish teeth. AL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al--- For years, I have been trying to put an identity to all these flies I have been tying with women's synthetic wigs. Finally you have done it."KINKY FLIES":D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.