NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
sweet those yammys are great moters.very reliable i have 350 hours on mine without any problems... just don't run high test in them -like you can afford it..

zooker

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to the blood, slime and scales - I was considering sending my good wife to spend some time with Forrest's good wife :p. You know....for training and such......:D I mean after seeing those pictures of his boat/pilot.... I'm just a tad jealous. :cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just curious to see how you like the Maycraft and what kind of water you run in. I've started looking at possible upgrades into the 19-21' boat size, and both the 19 and 20' Maycrafts seemed pretty good deals. Is the 115 enough for the boat, or would you shoot for a 150 if you had to do it again? Best guess on the 20' with 150 4-stroke performance wise?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have enjoyed the Maycraft so far (110 hours on the engine since July). I wanted a boat that would allow me to fish the sound and creeks but also a boat that would get me out to some of the ocean fishing spots. I've taken it out about 12 miles off shore as well as all up and down the creeks, ICW and rivers (White Oak and the Cape Fear).

The 19' is rated for a 140HP max. Yamaha doesn't make a 140, they go from 115 right to a 150. I could have gotten a Johnson but I like the Yammy better. Definitely go for the 4 stroke which ever one you choose, quieter, better gas efficiency and no oil to burn. To be honest the 115 has been enough for me - it gets out of the hole pretty quick and in the open ocean I rarely get it over 4500 RPM's anyway, in the ICW - it will do 35 knots and that is plenty fast enough as I'm usually no going more than a few miles at a shot.

I plan on putting a T-Top on next year, wish I had done it to begin with.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.