NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on the Bay River trip I would like to be able to participate in the chatter I know will be going on on while fishing. There's to much BBusting going on here to not have plenty of the same going on as VHF chatter.

What do you think of the Uniden 270? It floats and submersible. Would this be a good radio for listening and joining in? It comes with a cig lighter adapter. I could install a receptacle on my battery tray and run it off my kayak FF battery. (I got a new deep cycle today) I am sure there is some sort of yakatack or Ram adapter that would hold it nicely.

Recommendations on something different???

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Atlantis-Submersible-Marine-Radio/dp/B00FPQR7KK

mikeski

·
Registered
660 Posts
While on the Bay River trip I would like to be able to participate in the chatter I know will be going on on while fishing. There's to much BBusting going on here to not have plenty of the same going on as VHF chatter.

What do you think of the Uniden 270? It floats and submersible. Would this be a good radio for listening and joining in? It comes with a cig lighter adapter. I could install a receptacle on my battery tray and run it off my kayak FF battery. (I got a new deep cycle today) I am sure there is some sort of yakatack or Ram adapter that would hold it nicely.

Recommendations on something different???

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Atlantis-Submersible-Marine-Radio/dp/B00FPQR7KK

mikeski
As far as I know, we save our BBusting for the campfire....

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Playing on the radio requires use of one hand. I cant fish with just one so not a lot of blabber outta me til we hit land. I will however have my handheld for an occasional comment or if someone needs help. Honestly, all the handhelds are pretty similar and I would keep it cheap. But I'm cheap like that. I have an older Uniden Atlantis 250 that works fine I bought used.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Some of the other boards I frequent talk about kayakers using specific channels like 69 (seems to be a popular choice; not an assigned channel) to share info and what not. This seems to be more popular with solo boaters.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wife don't fish, son is busy and my buddy is busy. So I do tend to be a solo kayak fisherman. And if all goes well with the Bay River trip I will be looking to add a few more weekend trips like that a year.

I do like the 270 for the cost and that it's submersible and floats.

It's on my wish list for sure.

mikeski

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Mike normally there's a lot of cell number swappin that goes on .... There'll be txts and photos flying from one end of the river to the other.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Got an Atlantis 250 I got from the bass pro at Myrtle a few years ago....Only for emergency purposes or ifi ever i go bear huntin with a club. . yeah i know they are illegal land to land but ALOT of bear hunters use em.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'
ve never really seen a "Radio Cop" in person....
Got an Atlantis 250 I got from the bass pro at Myrtle a few years ago....Only for emergency purposes or ifi ever i go bear huntin with a club. . yeah i know they are illegal land to land but ALOT of bear hunters use em.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
505 Posts
FCC enforcement van. I have seen them. Mostly they cruise around looking for overpowered wireless routers and cell phone jammers.
tax dollars at work!

I use an icom ic-m72 I bought used from a coworker. I mostly carry it just for emergency purposes. Works pretty good, although I found that the reception is more powerful than the transmission (not surprising for a handheld). I was using it to rendezvous with a buddy in a sailboat on the lower Neuse last weekend, and I could hear him hailing me several minutes before he was able to hear my reply. He was about 4 miles from me when I was first picking up his hails, and probably 2 1/2-3 miles away when I could respond.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It is pretty much universally true on transceivers that they can receive from further away because that is mostly a function of how well the other party can transmit. I say mostly, because the better radios can filter noise out of a weak signal better.

As far as "tax dollars at work", I have to admit I think it is a good idea for them to enforce the router power limits. People buy the programmable routers, download code off the Internet that boosts the signal so they have a greater range and then others in the same building have trouble getting their routers to work from the interference. They need a tech break through to allow more routers to overlap without interference but until we have that people need to play by the rules.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It is pretty much universally true on transceivers that they can receive from further away because that is mostly a function of how well the other party can transmit. I say mostly, because the better radios can filter noise out of a weak signal better.

As far as "tax dollars at work", I have to admit I think it is a good idea for them to enforce the router power limits. People buy the programmable routers, download code off the Internet that boosts the signal so they have a greater range and then others in the same building have trouble getting their routers to work from the interference. They need a tech break through to allow more routers to overlap without interference but until we have that people need to play by the rules.

Not many folks out my way know or care what a router is. Crank that baby up and have internet farm wide.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
hmm now I want to google and pump up my router :)

Reactions: TwilightArmy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.