NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished my first Tourney on Saturday at Shearon Harris with CKA. I fished this lake twice in the past 7 days before the tournament. I was catching about 15 fish a day, and a little less than half of them were good slot fish. Come tournament time, I only caught one fish and it was 10.5" by around noon! I lost a few big ones. I know everyone says that, but this is the TRUTH! THEY WERE BIG! Ughh... I was frustrated and almost embarrassed, Because I figured these other dudes were rockin like $5K pedal kayaks with power poles, Flat Screen TV's and custom jerseys were probably slaying them! I was intimidated... (No offense to you guys, your all good people. I'm just really jealous! haha.) A lot of people were fishin in my favorite spots, but I didn't let that get to me and kept truckin. Finally switched up what I was using, and said the heck with it. I'll go back to my wacky worm. The ugly cheap one my girlfriend got me. I asked her to get me Some specific Gary Yamamato Pro Senko black & blue flake and came back with some "pretty" Yumm worms. "They're like dark purple and sparkly." So I said the heck with it. Threw it out there and BOOM! Landed a serious HAWG! Originally my hawg trough in the pic was broke. I took a pic of it and the tail was hanging off it, because it broke at 22". I guess I'm not complaining any. I had to borrow a fellow anglers who let me borrow his. It was 23.25. But I got docked some points because his mouth was open. Rookie mistake. Live & learn. My guess on the weight is 7.5-8 plus... One day I will learn to put some batteries in my scale.
All in all it was a good day. I didn't win. But I did have a blast! Made some new friends and got a picture of a potential wall hanger. And it was CPR. Now I am hooked even MORE and just want to fish more tournaments but i'm fixin to go to Korea here in a month. So, it looks like I will be stocking up on Pretty purple sparkley Yumm worms while I'm in Korea.

-Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fished my first Tourney on Saturday at Shearon Harris with CKA. I fished this lake twice in the past 7 days before the tournament. I was catching about 15 fish a day, and a little less than half of them were good slot fish. Come tournament time, I only caught one fish and it was 10.5" by around noon! I lost a few big ones. I know everyone says that, but this is the TRUTH! THEY WERE BIG! Ughh... I was frustrated and almost embarrassed, Because I figured these other dudes were rockin like $5K pedal kayaks with power poles, Flat Screen TV's and custom jerseys were probably slaying them! I was intimidated... (No offense to you guys, your all good people. I'm just really jealous! haha.) A lot of people were fishin in my favorite spots, but I didn't let that get to me and kept truckin. Finally switched up what I was using, and said the heck with it. I'll go back to my wacky worm. The ugly cheap one my girlfriend got me. I asked her to get me Some specific Gary Yamamato Pro Senko black & blue flake and came back with some "pretty" Yumm worms. "They're like dark purple and sparkly." So I said the heck with it. Threw it out there and BOOM! Landed a serious HAWG! Originally my hawg trough in the pic was broke. I took a pic of it and the tail was hanging off it, because it broke at 22". I guess I'm not complaining any. I had to borrow a fellow anglers who let me borrow his. It was 23.25. But I got docked some points because his mouth was open. Rookie mistake. Live & learn. My guess on the weight is 7.5-8 plus... One day I will learn to put some batteries in my scale.
All in all it was a good day. I didn't win. But I did have a blast! Made some new friends and got a picture of a potential wall hanger. And it was CPR. Now I am hooked even MORE and just want to fish more tournaments but i'm fixin to go to Korea here in a month. So, it looks like I will be stocking up on Pretty purple sparkley Yumm worms while I'm in Korea.

-Scott
Nice fish. Are you in the Air Force?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I'm still excited about it. Fish looks smaller next to a 230 pound man. But she was a biggin.
Yes sir. Stationed at Seymour for now. Then Korea, and then moving to Charleston so I can do some more salt water, but still slay some bass and fish for the record cat fish down there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice job.

In reality, to each his own. Personally, I dont need a flat screen TV and power pole, or foot pedals, or even multiple rods. I am a bare minimalist. I just enjoy being on the water, and it sounds like you are similar.....your comment "I had a blast" proves my point....in the end, thats what matters the most.

Congrats on the nice fish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Guys. I'm still excited about it. Fish looks smaller next to a 230 pound man. But she was a biggin.
Yes sir. Stationed at Seymour for now. Then Korea, and then moving to Charleston so I can do some more salt water, but still slay some bass and fish for the record cat fish down there.
Thank you for your service. I got one son in Korea now and the other at Fort Stewart, GA. Both are in the Army.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.