NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to wish a (late) happy independence day to fellow fly fishers here in NC. Here are some recent bugs ive been tying and experimenting with. The big white and yellow rope fly is intended for gar, im not sure how effective it will be...but it look cool. Most are divers for some folks, and some are just for fun. I tied up the "Merica" bug to giveaway to a veteran or active duty service member this weekend. That was fun. Ive been dialing in mini-divers on #1 hooks (little green guy). These are a blast on a 5/6wt. I have been focusing alot of my attention on carp flies and streamers for bass. Making medium-large size streamers effectively isn't as easy as it sounds. Alot of trial and error and testing goes into them to get them to run right. These are mini versions of Aino and Delivery Man patterns, and some hollow-tail deceiver pattern with a head. I hope you like them.

Natural material Feather Bait Tail Wing
Hair Head Eye Eyelash Feather
Pollinator Eye Insect Arthropod Plant
Butterfly Feather Wing Headgear Art
Head Eye Bait Artificial fly Fishing bait
Liquid Feather Pest Net-winged insects Macro photography
Natural material Organism Feather Wing Electric blue
Pollinator Butterfly Arthropod Insect Moths and butterflies
Feather Wing Natural material Transparent material Metal
Bait Natural material Insect Feather Artificial fly
Arthropod Insect Feather Pollinator Pest
Pollinator Arthropod Insect Wing Pest

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Very nicely done. Can you explain the construction of the last pic-- the rabbit strip jig heads. Seems to me that they would look more natural if the hide faced downward & the hair upward. Also is that foam intended to give buoancy to the strip? Looks like a killer fly either way.

I tie a similar pattern called a "Beastie Bugg" on a Buggs jighead that I use with light spinning gear for reds. The claws are made "double bunny" style, glued together before tying to the hook shank. They float upwards and wiggle around. Looks just like a small crab, and reds love them. I pulled the pic below from the Buggs Jigs website. You can fish the smaller jigheads with a flyrod, but I prefer a light spinner for that kind of fishing.

Great flies Daniel. You are an extraordinary tier.

Arthropod Insect Pollinator Pest Wing

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Im not sure of the reasoning behind the reversed tail. Its from the original McLovin pattern thats why I tied it that way. I added the foam for more buoyancy in the water. The combination of the foam strip and additional weight from the tripod head configuration really gives it some crazy looking action. Here is a small clip of this thing in the water.

[video]https://youtu.be/uWXGWyh5QHI[/video]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.