NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely, positively SECURE your FISHING ROD to the kayak. Lost an
old favorite this weekend to the depths of Buffalo Gap State Park
lake in Pennsylvania. Heard the splash and knew what it was.

Hadn't even been out an hour.

Stupid hurts.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I experimented with floats for the rods before I went out this weekend, I was surprised at how little foam (pool Noodle strips and duct tape) it took to keep a rod on top. Spinning combos should be no trouble I added what amounted to 1 1/2 times the handle dia. and about 5 inches long, tested it in a pool, then fished with it Sunday, never even noticed it was on the rod. Casting will be different but except for the micro guides I think the packaging foam that comes in 1/4 inch thick sheet should be the ticket if I cut it in strips and wrap the rod. I may need to go over it with one neat wrap of duct tape. I have seen Dave with one on his sons rod that looked store bought, but I haven't checked on that yet.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum dwhite! I've lost countless things while fishing as well, it happens. As you said though, not fun. Thinking ahead usually helps.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Dude... I have had my u know what handed to me lately....secure everything....then put floats on that...or u can be like me and...swim for an hour in a Menhaden slick...in the surf zone...I created to find a Rod...Super Sketchy....
Not to mention the bruises I got While pumbled in the surf by mother Water...

Attachments

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I lost a rod out of the kayak last year. just so happened I pulled up my anchor and it was caught on the anchor rope. Lucky day i guess. Though I should have left it at the bottom it hasn't worked right since.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, secure it or put a float on it.

CatMaster - why did I click that thumbnail? what has been seen cannot be unseen...
I got a big bruise on my elbow from surfing last week; playing in the waves on purpose. Lots of force at play.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Your not the only one.. I lost 2 set ups myself when i tipped. from then on..

1. Pack to tip
2. dress to swim

Reactions: catmaster

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sorry....I had to show somebody....I love fishing combat wounds...shows spirit...and after the poison Ivy incident....this is a piece of chocolate cake..:)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Rode the surf in. No problem. Slipped getting out of the kayak and could not pull it up the beach fast enough. Wave hit it. Rolled it. Result, broken and lost rod holder and a broken All Star rod. I am just lucky it did not break all three when the kayak rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
3,545 Posts
The one advantage of my PA is rod storage with tie downs below the rails. But is a bear to get to the surf by yourself.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I feel ya........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts