NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I started a similar thread to this a while back but I wanted to revive the topic and see if anybody has done this. Before I start, YES I have seen the John Skinner vids on the tube, and yes I use it regularly, and yes it is an effective approach. However, I am always looking to try new things and have different things in my "tool kit". You never know when you may need to change things up.

If you goto youtube and search "surf fishing halibut" you will see on the west coast they use Lucky Craft Flash Minnows or similar baits on the beach, fishing for the almighty halibut. Now, I know they aren't the same but my guess is this technique could be potentially effective for our own flatties here in NC.

I plan on hitting the beach the next couple of days throwing a mullet pattern bomber long A 2-3ft bill to see what happens. I was just curious if any of you seasoned anglers have any experience doing anything similar to this.

I will be sure to keep you all posted with my results. Unless of course I massacre the fish and want to keep this weapon to myself!

Tight lines!!!
Anthony

·
Registered
768 Posts
I always use a gulp shrimp.....and sometimes I can't keep them suckers off the hook in the surf. Granted I hardly ever catch a keeper.

So what are thr results? Or has this rainy week kept you from trying it?

·
Banned
324 Posts
Caught a 20in flounder on a floating Rapala once throwing it up in a little ditch and bringing it back out. It couldn't have been much more than 6-8 in below the surface in about 2-3 foot of water.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Same here last year. I had a slow sinking Rapala on one rod and I forget what else on another. I got a phone call and talked for at least three minutes (about 2 min and 59 seconds longer than I like to talk on the phone). When I disconnected and started reeling in the Rapala I had a nice flounder on it. I called the guy back and told him I owed him for the good luck. Not really- hate talking on the phone. I did tell him about it the next time I saw him though.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I've often wondered, but not tried using, if a crank bait would work for speckled trout during the winter in the deeper water. Since they bite so slowly, you'd probably have to crank it down, and let it sit, and rise a bit, then crank it down again, and repeat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two opportunities I had to try this week lightening was too close. Don't want to cruise around with an 8 foot graphite rod with that going on. I will give it a shot this week and I'll be sure to post the results!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've often wondered, but not tried using, if a crank bait would work for speckled trout during the winter in the deeper water. Since they bite so slowly, you'd probably have to crank it down, and let it sit, and rise a bit, then crank it down again, and repeat.
I know of lots being caught on X-raps.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I was referring to the longer lipped crank baits that will go to a certain depth when cranked down. I was a little fuzzy on that one. I still may be. The crank baits I meant will rise to the surface when the cranking is stopped. Probably not the best to use, but was wondering if anyone had ever tried them with any success.

I know of lots being caught on X-raps.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Several lures will go to depth when cranked down and suspend, not rise, and they work good also for trout and anything that eats minnows like flounder,.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts